Jonathan4; Roger3; Tobias2;
Roger1) and his mother (Lovey H. (Tolle)
Tolle6; Reuben Hampton5;
Jonathan4; Roger3; Tobias2;
Caleb Tolle was born 25 Nov 1837 in Brown
County, Illinois. He was son of Lovey H. (Tolle) and James
Tolle. Caleb served in the Civil War (Union) in Company E,
16th Illinois Infantry. According to the information on
Caleb's service report, he was age 23, height 5' 7 1/2",
hair light, eyes blue, complexion fair, marital status
single, occupation laborer. He enlisted 24 May 1861 at
Quincy, Illinois. There is a marriage a short time later in
Buchanan County, Missouri of a Caleb to Mary Chilacothe on
26 Dec 1861. There is no proof that I have found that this
is the same Caleb, but I do not know of any other of the
same name, age, or proximity that it could be. He must have
been wounded in the war because on 24 Aug 1866 he applied
for an invalid pension (App# 114507 - Cert# 90195) After the
War, Caleb married on 7 Feb 1867 in Grundy County, Missouri
to Elizabeth Cowhick. Elizabeth had first been married to
Andrew Burr who died in the Civil War. She was next married
to a man named Murrian and had one daughter, Mary Catherine
Murrain. She was called Elizabeth Murrain on the marriage
record. Mr Murrian had also died in the Civil War. She was
the daughter of Eleanor H. (Constant) and Elisha Adamson
Cowhick. Caleb and Elizabeth had 5 children. Caleb deid at
the age of 38 years, 9 months, and 9 days on 4 Sep 1875 and
is buried in Section 36, Trenton Twp, Grundy County,
Missouri. Elizabeth married again to Asa Moore on 20 Dec
1878 in Grundy County, and they had one more daughter,
Cynthia Ann Moore and Asa Moore also died. Elizabeth married
for the fifth time to Francis Marion Harper in 1882 and they
had more children. Those known are Chris, Nancy, and J.F.
Harper. Elizabeth died on 8 Aug 1916 in Garfield County,
the age of 72 years. She had a total of 14 children, and 8
were living at the time of her death. She was buried in the
Hunter Cemetery, in Hunter, Oklahoma.
The children of
Elizabeth (Cowhick) and Caleb Tolle were:
- WILLIAM THOMAS TOLLE8 born 7 Oct 1866 in
Grundy County, Missouri; married 25 Mar 1889 to Cora
Christina Myers. Cora was born 1 Oct 1871 in Lucas County,
Iowa, daughter of Isabella (?) and William H. Myers. William
and Cora had 14 children surnamed TOLLE: Rhoda A., Minnie
J., George Theodore, Edna Leora, Ida Hazel, Lucy E., Gladys
Jane, Caleb Harry, Violet, Nancy, Celia Ann, William Henry,
Ernest Ervin, and John Albert. By 1900 they were living in
in Oklahoma. Cora died on 23 Nov 1935 and William died 4 Jan
1946. They are buried in the Mucinch cemetery in Canton
- HARRIET SUSAN
TOLLE8 aka "Hat", born 19 Mar 1870; married
on 18 Oct 1886 in Garden City, Kansas to James Fleming
Harper. James was her step-brother, and he was born 20 Oct
1865 in Cumberlin County, Kentucky, son of Nancy (Page) and
Francis Marion Harper. Susan and James had 10 children
surnamed HARPER: Sarah, Christopher, Caleb, Maggie, Myrtle
Elizabeth, James Fleming, Julia, Jessie Robert, Allen, and
Willis. The family went to Beaver County, Oklahoma by
covered wagon in the Fall of 1907, and remained there the
rest of their lives. James died on 1 Apr 1944 and Harriet
died on 25 Mar 1950 and. They are buried in the Knowles
cemetery in Beaver County, Oklahoma. Another reference shay
she is buried in the Kiowa cemetery, Row A, space 21. Does
this cemetery have two names?
- LOVIE ELLEN TOLLE8 born 20 Feb 1871 in Grundy
County, Missouri; married on 26 Jan 1888 to Abraham Shenk
and had one daughter Matilda Ann SHENK but they divorced in
1882. Lovie married second to Henry Parker Sanger on 11 Apr
1986 in Blaine County, Oklahoma. She died 18 Feb 1956 in
- CALEB TOLLE8 born 7 Jan 1872 in Grundy
County, Missouri; married on 26 Mar 1898 in Blaine County,
Oklahoma to Carrie Belle Lawrence. Caleb and Carrie had 5
children surnamed TOLLE: Lucy Jane, Mary, Archie, Bernie,
and Susan. The last record that I have for him is the 1920
census of Beaver County, Oklahoma and according to his
sister's obit, he lived in Grand Junction, Colorado in 1950.
- JANE A. TOLLE8 born about 1875 in Grundy
County, Missouri. aka "Jennie" or "Jeannie Ann". Her first
marriage appears to have been to an outlaw named "Diamond
Dick" (from correspondence of a descendant). Then she
married Frank Nathan Griffin. He was born in 1858 in South
Bend, Indiana. They had 5 children surnamed GRIFFIN: Harry
F., Florence; John, William, and Florie Lucille. Jane died
about the time of the birth of the last child, and the baby
was raised by someone else. Frank died in 1922 in Brinkley,
For Descendant/Researchers of Caleb
please see Tolle Cousin -
- 1850 Federal Census of Brown County, Illinois
Federal Census of Sullivan County, Missouri.
Federal Census of Grundy County, Missouri.
- 1900-1910-1920 Soundex to the Federal Census of
- Index to Compiled Service Records of Volunteer Uion
Soliers who served in Organizations from the State of
Illinois. FHL film# 881711.
- Alphabetical Military pension Index File. FHL film#
541231 thru 541233.
- Index to Marriage Licenses of Grundy County, Missouri
1841-1937. FHL film# 1007638, items 2 th 4.
- Index to
Marriages of Buchanan County, Missouri. FHL film#s 1004800.
- Cemetery Records of Grundy County, Missouri, by
Elizabeth Prather, 6 volumes.
- Blaine County, Oklahoma
Marriage Record Book A, page
155. FHL# 1313695, item 4.
- A History of Beaver County, Oklahoma Pioneer Families,
Index by Hamilton Computer Service.
- Oklahoma Territory Weddings, Blaine County, Oklahoma, by
Frances Murphy Bode 1983. FHL film# 6104367.
County, Oklahoma General Index to Marriages. FHL film#
- Deed Indexes of Beaver county, Oklahoma, Volumes I & II.
FHL film# 1906742, items 2 & 3.
- Extracted data from Mortuary Records 1915-1980, Kiowa
Cemetery, Beaver County, Oklahoma. FHL film# 1906806.
- Obituary of Elizabeth (Cowhick) Tolle Harper
- Obituary of Harriet Susan (Tolle) Harper April
- Correspondence with descendants Wanza Campbell; Leonard
Tolle; Steven Tolle; William Griffin; Robert Bower; and
- Compiled research and personal
knowledge of Lois (Beach) Gaug. (Tolle Cousin #50)
LEVI TOLLE7 (Benham6; William5; Jonathan4; Roger3; Tobias2; Roger1)
Levi Tolle was born 1826 in Kentucky, son of Nancy (Applegate) and Benham Tolle. He married on 5 Apr 1849 in Rush County, Indiana to Nancy Moke. They had four known children. I don't have a lot of data on Levi, and it is possible that there were other children. He died in
1868. Nancy married again to Simpson Cox on 11 Jan 1882 in Grant County, Indiana.
The children of Nancy (Moke) and Levi Tolle
- IRA A. TOLLE8 born about 1852, was age 8 on the 1860 census of Grant County, Indiana. No info after that.
- MARY C. TOLLE8 born about 1854. She was age 6 on the 1860 census of Grant County, Indiana. There was a Mary Caroline who married George N. Shaw in 1875. Could this be her? No other info.
- JAMES H. TOLLE8 born Sep 1856l; married 19 Aug 1880 in Howard County, Indiana to Emma Reed. They had 4 known children as shown in the census records surnamed TOLLE: Roy, Frank, a son, and a daughter names not determined. The last Info I have for him is at age 57 in the 1920 census of Grant County, Indiana.
- CHESTER M. TOLLE8 born Feb 1867; married before 1891 to Florence E. Derham. She was bron Dec 1870 according to the 1900 census of Howard County, Indiana. They had 4 known children surnamed TOLLE: Mervil Archie, Verna Theron, Gladys Z., and Wayne. The last record I have for him is at age 52 on the 1820 census of Howard County, Indiana.
for Descendant/Researchers of William Tolle
please see Tolle Cousin - #51 - #81
- 1860 Federal Census of Grant County, Indiana.
- Marriage Index of Howard County, Indiana. FHL film# 126801, item 4.
- Howard County, Indiana Marriage Records (2 volumes, by Robert & Phyllis Selby 1982.
- Birth Records of Howard County, Indiana. FHL film# 126801m item 2.
- Howard County, Indiana Birth Records 1875-1920, Shelby Publishing Company.
- 1900 & 1920 Soundex of Federal Census of Indiana.
- Correspondence with Mina Bradley (1978).
- e-mail correspondence with Pam Kalar (Tolle Cousin #51)
Stephen A. Tolle was born 1 Sep 1851 in
Adams County, Ohio. He was the son of Rachel Jane (Davis)
and Elijah Tolle. On 25 Nov 1873 in Adams County, Ohio he
was married to Anna Belle Wilson. She was born 8 May 1853 in
Adams County and was the daughter of Lucinda (Lovejoy) and
John Wilson. Anna Belle was also the Step-daughter of
William Fletcher Tolle. Stephen and Anna Belle had 7
children. Stephen died on 20 Jul 1932, and Anna Belle died
on 18 Apr 1937. They are buried in the IOOF Cemetery in West
Union, Adams County, Ohio.
The children of Anna Belle (Wilson) and Stephen A. Tolle
- JOHN EDWARD TOLLE8 aka "Edward" or "Eddie",
was born 25 Aug 1874; married 9 Oct 1900 in Neosho County,
Kansas to Ida Bell Neely. She was born 14 Feb 1872 in
Douglas County, Illinois, daughter of Nancy (Sharp) and
Isaac Newton Neely. The had 3 children surnamed TOLLE:
Gladys, Earl Edward, and a son who's name is unknown. John
died Oct 1946 in Los Angeles County, California and Ida Bell
died 5 Apr 1956 in San Bernardino County. They are buried in
- CHARLES H. TOLLE8 born 15 Apr 1878; married
18 mar 1903 in Admas County, Ohio to Elizabeth B. Musser.
They had 3 children surnamed TOLLE: Lavena B., Edma M., and
Thelma Louise. Charles died in 1963 and Elizabeth in 1965.
Tey are buried in the IOOF cemetery in West Union, Adams
- CHAUNCEY KING TOLLE8 born 16
Jun 1879; married on 18 Oct 1902 to Golda Eunice Courtney.
She was born 9 Sep 1884 in Highland County, Ohio, the
daughter of Addie (Shoemaker) and Simon Courtney. Chauncey
and Golda had one daughter Bessie Lee TOLLE. He died on 29
Nov 1923 at the age of 44 years, 5 months, and 13 days, and
is buried in the IOOF cemetery in West Union, Adams County,
Ohio. Golda married again in 1926 to J. W. Custer, and she
died Oct 1958. Her tombstone says "Goldie E. Tolle".
- CAREY E. TOLLE8 born 25 Jun 1882; married on
30 Dec 1909 in Adams County, Ohio to Sarah J. Boldman. sarah
was born 12 Jan 1883 and was the daughter of James W.
Boldman. Carey and Sarah had 4 children surnamed TOLLE:
Gleason E. Floyd R., Edra U., and Mary Belle. Carey died on
15 Jan 1920 and is buried in the IOOF cemetery in West
Union, Adams County, Ohio. Sarah died on 9 Nov 1955.
STEPHEN TOLLE8 born 7 Dec 1886; married 25 Dec
1910 in Adams County, Ohio to Orva May Garrison. She was
born 27 Apr 1888 in Henry County, Ohio, daughter of Mary
Coppick and B.M. Garrison. Ora and Orva had one son, Trevor
Woodrow Garrison TOLLE. Ora died on 14 Jun 1921 in Logan,
Illinois. He was age 34 years, 6 months, and 7 days of age
and died of complications from an appendicietis operation.
He is buried in the IOOF cemetery in West Union, Adams
- DELLIE ERNEST TOLLE8 born 9 Sep
1891; married on 5 Apr 1917 in Mason County, Kentucky to
Ocie Fields. She was born in 1894, the daughter of Anna Bell
(?) and Millard Fields They had one daughter Ruby May TOLLE
and Ocie died. He served in WWI. He was married second to
Nan Plummer. He died 2 May 1942 and is buried in the IOOF
cemetery in West Union, Adams County, Ohio.
- FLOSSIE MAYE
TOLLE8 born 10 Jul 1897; married 4 Jan 1917 to
Arthur E. McDaniel. He was born 19 Aug 1888 in Adams County,
Ohio son of Ida (Burbage) and C.H. McDaniel. They had 4
children surnamed McDANIEL: Dale, Dorothy Ruth, Ethel Dean,
and Nora Belle. Arthur died on 17 Jul 1929. Flossie married
Glenn Moore sometime after 1937 and he died 15 June 1960.
10 Mar 1996 at the age of 98 years, and is buried in the
West Union Cemetery, in Adams County, Ohio.
For Descendant/Researcher of Stephen A.
please see Tolle Cousin - #18 - #85
- 1860-1870-1880-1900-1910-1920 Federal Census of Adams
- 1900-1910-1920 Soundex of the Federal Census of Kansas
- Adams County, Ohio Marriage Records, Volume 1, p104-105,
Elsie Ewing Rayburn, 1953, collected from bibles, obits,
news papers, books etc. FHL film# 317308.
- Adams County,
Ohio Newspapers, Data for the period of 1892-1916 from the
New Era & the Adams County Record, extracted by Kathryn
- Genealogical data from Grace Perry's notebook, plus
interview collected by Kathryn (Nixon) Miller.
Permissions of Adams County, Ohio from originals in the
Courthouse basement, extracted by Kathryn (Nixon) MIller.
- Some Marriage Records of Adams County, Ohio, Volume I,
1797-1894 published 1988, and Volume II, 1834-1910 published
1995 by the Adams County, Genealogical Society.
Roster of Ohio Soldiers Sailors, Marines in World Way
1917-1918, Volume 17.
- Adams County, Ohio History 1989, by the Adams County,
Ohio Book Committee.
- Clinton County, Ohio History 1982, Volume I, page 371.
- Death Certificates of Adams County, Ohio from the West
Union Health Dept, extracted by Kathryn (Nixon) Miller.
- Obituary of Anna Belle (Wilson) Tolle May 1937.
- Obituary of Stephen A. Tolle July 1932
- Obituary of Charles H. Tolle 1963
- Obituary of Flossie Maye (Tolle) McDaniel Moore
- Obituary of Mary Belle Tolle November 1916
- Obituary of Ora Stephen Tolle June 1921
- Obituary of Bessie Lee (Tolle) Short July 1972
- Index of Adams County, Ohio Tombstone Records, by Adams
County Genealogical Society.
- Ohio Birth Records 1909-1911. FHL film 0929248-0929251.
- Others assorted sources include FGS from LDS Archives,
Illinois death record index, Marriages of Neosho Co KS.
- The major research and records on this family has come
through the generous sharing of Kathryn (Nixon) Miller.
- Compiled records and personal knowledge of James W.
Hartline (Tolle Cousin #18)
Parker6; Jonathan Jr5;
Jonathan4: Roger3; Tobias2;
Elizabeth Ann Toll was born about 1844,
daughter of Malinda (Hughes) and Winslow Parker Tolle. She
was listed as age 6 in the 1850 census of Pike County,
Missouri. Her mother died while whe was a child, and she was
found at age 16 in
the home of her Aunt and Uncle Amaretta (Hughes) and John C.
Beasley in the 1860
census of Warren County, Illinois. Evidence seems to
indicate that there was a child born to her on 19 Mar 1861,
named James Riley TOLL. The descendants of James Riley Toll
are trying to prove his heritage. Elizabeth married William
H Strother sometime before 1875 and they had several
children as indicated by the census records. In 1880, the
family was living in St Clair County, Missouri. In 1900 they
were in Texas County, Missouri. This is the last record that
I currently have for Elizabeth.
The child believed to
belong to Elizabeth Ann Toll was:
- JAMES RILEY TOLL8 This child is still
unproven but believed to be the son of Elizabeth Toll. He
was born 19 Mar 1861. Raised in Calhoun County, Illinois by
foster parents Huldah (Walton) & Ezekial Henderson Burns
from the age of 2 years. His death certificate says his
mother was named Elizabeth Ann Toll. He married Mary Ellen
Kitson (1863-1938) and they had nine children surnamed TOLL:
Effie Mae, Lester William, Ada Viola, Gatia Iona, Lora Bell,
Willard Leslie, WIllis Leland, Inez Izola, and James Parker.
James Riley Toll died in 1919.
The known children of Elizabeth Ann (Toll) and William H.
- NORA STROTHER8 born about 1875, was age 5 on
the 1880 census of St Clair County, Missouri.
STROTHER8 born about 1877, was age 3 on the 1880
census of St Clair County, Missouri.
STROTHER8 born about 1879, was age 7/12 in the
1880 census of St Clair County, Missouri.
- LIZZIE A.
STROTHER8 born Nov 1884 in Missouri, according to
the 1900 census of Texas County, Missouri.
- ETHEL M. STROTHER8 born Jul 1887 in Kansas,
according to the 1900 census of Texas County, Missouri.
- NIOMA STROTHER8 born Oct 1890 in Oklahoma,
according to the 1900 census of Texas County, Missouri
For descendant of Elizabeth Ann (Toll)
please see Tolle Cousin - #43 - #55
- 1850 Federal census of Pike County, Missouri.
Federal census of Warren County, Illinois.
- 1880 Federal
census of St Clair County, Missouri.
- 1900 Federal census
of Texas County, Missouri.
- Assorted notes from Martha
- Correspondence with Sally Spoor and
Barbara Cuthbert regarding James Riley Toll (Tolle Cousin #55).
- e-mail from
Patty West (Tolle Cousin #43).
JETHRO WILSON DARLING7 (Frances Ann (Tolle) Darling6; Jose Tolle Sr5; Jonathan Tolle4; Roger Tolle3; Tobias Tolle2; Roger Tolle1.
Jethro Wilson Darling, son of Frances Ann (Tolle) and James Harvey Darling, was born 1 Feb 1861. He married in Albion, Cassia County Idaho to Margaret Adamson. Jethro and Margaret had 8 children, but then divorced. Margaret married again, but Jethro did not.
The children of Margaret (Adamson) and Jethro Wilson Darling were:
- ROBERT WILSON DARLING8 born 29 Dec 1890 in Castle Rock, Cowlitz Co WA. He married Mable Fern Bryan on 30 Oct 1899 in Bonsall, San Diego Co CA. They had one son and 4 daughters. Robert died 17 Jun 1964 in Oceanside, San Diego Co CA, and Mable ied 2 Jan 1992 in Lake Havasu City, Mahave Co AZ.
- NORA EDNA DARLING8 born 12 Jan 1992 at Fossil, Wheeler Co OR. She married 24 Jan 1915 to James William Gillespie Jr. Nora died 29 May 1973 in Downey, Los Angeles Co CA.
- LEROY HENRY DARLING8 born 2 Mar 1894 at Fall Creek, Lane Co OR. He married Mary Ruth Bryan on 25 Dec 1916. Leroy died 15 Jul 1946 in Chico, Butte Co CA.
- SHELBY ROGERS DARLING8 born 18 Jun 1895 at Pleasant Hill, Lane Co OR. He married Kathleen Dodge. Shelby died 27 Apr 1995 at Santa Monica, Los Angeles Co CA.
- INA ELEANOR DARLING8 born 31 Jan 1897 at Pleasant Hill, Lane Co OR. She married 1st on 25 Jan 1914 to Reuben Wilbur Barnard. Married 2nd to a man named Pyle. Ina died in Mar 1981 in Poulsbo, Kitsap Co WA.
- BEATRICE GRACE DARLING8 born 13 Jul 1899 at Pleasant Hill, Lane Co OR. She married on 12 Aug 1918 to Ernest Melvin Strong. Beatirce died in Oct 1994 at Moorpark, Ventura Co CA.
- JOHN CARR DARLING8 born 10 Dec 1903 at Idaho City, Boise Co ID. He married Ruby Mills. John died 27 Jan 1947 at Lacomb, Linn Co OR.
- ELENER "Nell" LOIS DARLING8 born 29 Oct 1907 at Burley, Cassia Co ID. Married Charles Mills. She is deceased. Date and place unknown.
For Descendant/Researchers of Jethro Wilson Darling
please see Tolle Cousin - #54
- Compiled research of Kathryn Miller from census, marriage records and dat shared by Otelia Hedman in 1978.
- Data on the children of Jethro Darling comes from personal knowledge and research of Loraine Darling (Tolle Cousin #54)
GEORGE W. TOLLE7 (Jonathan6; William5; Jonathan4; Roger3; Tobias2;
George W. Tolle, son of Elizabeth (?) and Jonathan Tolle, was born about 1823 in Tennessee. He married Elizabeth Skillern on 4 Dec 1843 in Lawrence County, Tennessee. (Note: one descendant gives her name as Skillern but marriage records says Armstrong. Was there a previous marriage for her?). George and Elizabeth had 7 known children. Some took the Tole spelling. It was assumed that he died before 1860. His wife and children were found in Wayne County, Tennessee that year. But in the 1910 census of Oklahoma County, Oklahoma there is a George Tolle who matches his description. This family needs a lot of study.
The children of Elizabeth (Skillern) and George W. Tolle were:
- JAMES ANDERSON TOLLE8 born 11 Nov 1844 Hickman County, Tennessee. He married 25 Oct 1868 in Wayne County, Tennessee. They had 7 children surnamed TOLLE: George W., Annie W., Charlie V., Bertha E., James Marin, Lester O'Dell, and Hattie B.. He served on the Union side in the Civil War as Private in Company A, 2nd TN Mounted Infantry. He applied for invalid pension in 1893, and his widow applied Aug 1924. James died 5 Jul 1925 in Wayne County, Tennessee.
- JONATHAN N. TOLE8 born Oct 1848 in Wayne County, Tennessee. He married Argie Denton about 1870. Jonathan and Argie had 11 children surnamed TOLE: Lizzie, Mary, James Samuel, Lanie R., John W., David Arthur, George E., Thomas Luther, Wesley B./William B., Lilly, and Albert B.. Jonathan served on the Union side is the Civil War as a Private in Company H, 2nd TN Mounted Infantry. He applied for invalid pension on 2 Oct 1900. His widow applied 8 Mar
1909. Jonathan died 28 Jan 1909 in Weakley County, Tennessee.
- MARY C. TOLLE8 born about 1849 in Wayne County, Tennessee; married A.G. Melton 4 Feb 1869 in Wayne County, Tennessee.
- SUSAN E. TOLLE8 born about 1851 according to the 1870 census of Wayne County, Tennessee
- OCTAVO C. TOLLE8 born about 1854 according to the 1870 census of Wayne County, Tennessee.
- ELIZA JANE TOLLE8 born about 1856 according to the 1870 census of Wayne County, Tennessee.
- MARGARET S. TOLLE8 born about 1859 according to the 1870 census of Wayne County, Tennessee.
For Descendant/Researchers of George W. Tolle
please see Tolle Cousin
- 1830-1840 Federal Census of Hickman County, Tennessee.
- 1850 Federal Census of Hardin County, Tennessee.
- 1860-1870 Federal Census of Wayne County, Tennessee.
- 1880 Soundex of Tennessee.
- 1890 Census Index of Tennessee, accelerated Indexing Systems, page 217.
- 1900-1910-1920 Soundex of Federal Census of Tennessee.
- 1920 Soundex of Oklahoma.
- Early Middle Tennessee Marriages, by Byron Sistler 1988.
- Marriages of Lawrence County, Tennessee 1818-1854, page 46, by Edythe Rucker Whitley 1982.
- Lawrence County, Tennessee Marriage Records 1818-1923, page 231, by Mrs Claud A. Carter 1979.
- Ansearchin News, Tennessee Gen Soc Quarterly, v21,p172, Lawrence County, Tennessee Marriages, Book A. 1838-1860.
- Tennesseans in the Civil War, by Civil War Centennial Committee 1965, page 355 Federal Rosters.
- Index to Compiled Service Records of Volunteer Union Soldiers Who Served in Organizations for the State of Tennessee, FHL film# 0821903 Stu-To.
- Alphabetical Military Pension File, FHL film# 541231 thru 541233.
- Civil War Verterans Census-Tennessee, transcribed & indexed by Byron & Barbara Sistler 1978.
- Deed Indexes of Perry County, Tennessee. FHL film#
0977669. Books O-P 0977674 & Book T on 0977676. Books V-W not filmed by FHL.
- Indexes of Weakley County, Tennessee Deeds 1876-1908.
- State of Tennessee Death Records FHL film# 0338141, and 1299605 thru 1299616.
- The River Counties, Volume II, 1982, edited by Jill K. Garret. Page 62, Walnut Grove Cemetery, Wayne County, Tennessee.
- Correspondence with Meryl Stevens 1980-1989, and James
M. Tolle 1981-1984.
- Compiled research and personal knowledge of Mary Katschke (Tolle cousin #40)
- Compiled research and personal knowledge of Patti Thompson Ferguson (Tolle cousin #52)
CHARLES WESLEY TOLLE 7 (George Henry6; Reuben Hampton5; Jonathan4; Roger3; Tobias2;
Charles Wesley Tolle, son of Mary Elizabeth (Eades) and George Henry Tolle, was born 26 Jun 1841 in Schuyer County, Illinois. He married Mary Elizabeth Sebastian on 24 Oct 1876 in Trenton, Grundy County, Missouri. They had 15 children, but many never survived infancy. He served in the Civil War in Company A, 10 Reg Missouri Volunteer Infantry for 3 years. He applied for an invalid pension on 9 Aug 1890. His widow applied on 15 Aug
1912. Charles died on 7 Aug 1912 at age 71 years, 1 month & 13 days. Mary Elizabeth died 21 Aug 1923. They are both buried in the Tolle Cemetery, Southwest of Trenton, Missouri.
The children of Mary Elizabeth (Sebastian) and Charles Wesley Tolle were:
- WILLIAM ELMER TOLLE8 born Aug 1868 in Grundy County, Missouri and died there on 7 Sep 1869 at the age of 11 months and 23 days. He is buried in the Tolle cemetery.
- MARY BELLE TOLLE8 born 19 Dec 1869 in Grundy County, Missouri. She married Charles Moses Bryant on 28 Nov 1887 in Grundy County. Mary Belle & Charles were 1st cousins. He was the son of Frances Louise (Tolle) & John H. Bryant. Mary Belle and Charles had 3 children surnamed BRYANT, but the names are currently unknown to me. Mary Belle died 7 May 1899 at age 29y 4m 28d and is buried in the Tolle cemetery in Grundy County. Charles married again to Malinda McLey and they had one child. Charles Bryant died 28 Jun 1943.
- HARRIET COLUMBIA TOLLE8 born 5 Feb 1871 in Grundy County, Missouri. She married James Richmond Harris on 30 Jul 1888 in Milan, Missouri. Harriet and James had six children surnamed HARRIS: Iva Myrtle, Edna Juanita, Toye Ethel, Genie Belle, Burness Vernon, and James Kenneth. James died on 21 Jun 1912 and Harriet died on 21 May 1934. They are buried in the Edinburg Cemetery in Grundy County.
- ANNA AUGUSTA TOLLE8 born 11 Aug 1872 in Grundy County, Missouri. She married Joel W. Prosser on 11 Feb 1894 in Grundy County. I don't have a record of any children. Anna died 27 Sep 1944 in Denver, Colorado and is buried there.
- ETHA ETHYL TOLLE8 born 24 May 1874 in Grundy County, Missouri. She died on 1 Sep 1874 at age 3m 7d and is buried in the Tolle cemetery.
- ESTHER ELLEN TOLLE8 born 3 Jan 1876 in Grundy County, Missouri. She died 23 Jul 1887 at the age of 11y 6m 20d and is buried in the Tolle cemetery.
- JARVIS CONKLIN TOLLE8 born 32 Dec 1877 in Grundy County, Missouri. He married Nettie Isobel Owen about
1898. Jarvis and Nettie had five children surnamed TOLLE: Victor Lyle, Opal M., Charles E., Lloyd C., and Merle. Jarvis dropped dead on 13 Nov 1950 in El Dorado Springs, Missouri. He was age 72y 10m & 13d at the time. He is buried in the Clintonville cemetery, 2 miles S of Eldorado Springs. The death date for Nettie is unknown.
- CHARLES HENRY TOLLE8 born 1 Sep 1880 in Grundy
County, Missouri. He married on 21 Jan 1903 in Grundy County to Katie Thomas. Charles and Katie had 8 children surnamed TOLLE: Alden R., John Wesley, Catherine, Margaret Elizabeth, Dorothy, Jesse M., Eula Fay, and one more female. Katie died in October 1951 and Charles died 25 Sep 1957 in a hospital in Nevada, Missouri. They are buried in the Clintonville cemetery, 2 miles south of Eldorado Springs, Missouri.
- ALICE GERTRUDE TOLLE8 born 10 May 1882 in Grundy County, Missouri. She died on 14 Sep 1882 at age 4m 4d and is buried in the Tolle cemetery in Grundy County.
- ALINE PEARL TOLLE8 born 14 Mar 1884 in Grundy County, Missouri. She died 11 Aug 1884 at age 4m 27d and is buried in the Tolle cemetery.
- IVY TABITHA TOLLE8 (twin) born 29 Aug 1885 in Grundy County, Missouri. She died on 9 Jul 1887 at age 1y 9m 10d and is buried in the Tolle cemetery.
- (female) TOLLE8 (twin) born 29 Aug 1885 and died 23 Sep
- TRACY ELLSWEOTH TOLLE8 born 26 Aug 1886 in Grundy County, Missouri and died 9 Nov 1886 at age 2m 10ds. Buried in the Tolle cemetery.
- ERMA G. TOLLE8 born 11 Feb 1888 in Grundy County, Missouri and died 8 Jul 1888 at age 4m 27dys. Buried in the Tolle cemetery.
- DORA LUCINDA TOLLE8 born 21 Aug 1889 in Grundy County, Missouri. She married Ellis W. Smith on 23 Aug 1908 in Grundy County. She died 29 Jun 1970 and is buried in the May Cemetery in Livingston County, Missouri. Ellis is buried there too.
For Descendant/researchers of Charles Wesley Tolle
please see Tolle Cousin -
- 1850-1860 Federal Census of Schuyler County, Illinois.
- 1870-1880 Federal Census of Grundy County, Missouri.
- 1900-1910-1920 Soundex of Federal Census of Missouri.
- Cemetery Records of Grundy County, Missourii, by Elizabeth Prather Ellsberry, 6 volumes.
- Alphabetical Military Pension Index File. FHL film# 541231 th 541233.
- Index to Compiled Service Records of Volunteer Uion Soldiers who served in Organizations from the State of Missouri. FHL film# 881584.
- Family Group sheet of Charles Wesley Tolle, compiled from family records of Jeanie Harris Call.
- Newspaper clippings of Genealogical Value from Springfield, Missouri Newspapers 1939-1978. FHL film# 1672777 th 1672774.
- Permenant Records of Deaths in Grundy County, Missouri 1883-1892. FHL film# 1007646.
- Death Notices from Grundy County, Missouri Newspapers. Republican Times 1915-1930 and papers of Spickard 1901-1944 & Loredo 1905, from my research in the Trenton, Missouri Library.
- Correspondence with Gretchen Velasco containing miscelleneous research notes.
- Index to Marriage Licenses of Grundy County, Missouri 1841-1937. FHL film#1007638, items 2,3,4.
- Family notes of Helen Lang, shared by Joan Stevenson.
- The Schuylerite, the Schuyler County, Illinois Historical Museum, Volume IX, page 55. List of Volunteers from Bainbridge Township 1861.
JOHN S. TOLLE JR 7 (John S.6; Reuben Hampton5; Jonathan4; Roger3; Tobias2; Roger1)
John S. Tolle Jr, son of Lydia (GIfford) and John S. Tolle, was born 3 Feb 1849 in
Schuyler County, Illinois. On 26 Aug 1877 he married Caroline Wright in Schuyler County. John & Caroline had 3 children surnamed TOLLE: Henry, Della, and James. Caroline died 4 Oct 1883. John married again on 11 Dec 1884 to Jennie
M. (Johnson) Phillips. She was the widow of William Phillips. John and Jennie had three children surnamed TOLLE: John Clarence, Margaret Belle, and Joseph Hatton. John died 17 Nov 1913 and is buried in the Rushville Cemetery in Schuyler County, Illinois. Jennie marred on 21 Sep 1919 to John William Miller. She is also buried in the Rushville cemetery.
The children of Caroline (Wright) and John S. Tolle Jr were:
- HENRY TOLLE8 born 21 Sep 1878 Schuyler County, Illinois
- DELLA TOLLE8 born Apr 1880 Schuyler County, Illinois.
- JAMES TOLLE8 born 1883 Schuyler County, Illinois. Died 15 Oct 1912 in Cass County, Illinois at age
The Children of Jennie (Johnson) and John S. Tolle Jr were:
- JOHN CLARENCE TOLLE8 born about 1884 and died 30 Jul
- MARGARET BELLE TOLLE8 born 3 Oct 1885; called Maggie. She died 26 Jul 1915 of Cancer at age 29y 9m 23dys. she is buried in the Rushville cemetery in Schuyler County, Illinois.
- JOSEPH HATTON TOLLE8 born 4 Mar 1889 in Schuyler County, Illinois. He married 1st Ruth Irene Wright on 5 Aug 1915 in Canton, Illinois. Ruth, born 2 Jun 1894, was the daughter of Carrie (Richmond) and William Fowler Wright. Joseph and Ruth had one son: John W. Tolle. They divorced, and Joseph married Mary Higgins. Ruth also married again to Max Hoffman. Joseph died 13 Nov 1951 in Monterey Park, California. He was a veteran of World War I and he and Mary are buried in the Leavenworth, Kansas National Cemetery.
For Descendant/researchers of John S. Tolle
please see Tolle Cousin - #62
- 1850-1860 & 1880 Federal Census of Schuyler County, Illinois.
- 1900-1910 Soundex/Miracode of Federal Census of Illinois.
- 1920 Federal Census of Knox County, Illinois.
- Birth Records of Schuyler County, Illinois. Indexes on FHL film#s 1311546 th 1311548 & 1311553.
- Marriage Records of Schuyler County, Illinois. Index on FHL film#
- Death Records of Schuyler County, Illinois. FHL film# 1311550 th
- The Schuylerite, the Schuyler County, Illinois Historical Museum, Volume VI & Volume XII.
- California Death indexes 1950-1959 FHL fiche# 6332561.
- Data from index cards on obituaries at Rushville, Illinois, contributed by Marilyn Davis.
- Compiled research and personal knowledge of John W. Tolle. submitted material includes some marriage certificates, obits, bible page, & death certificates.
Generation 7 will continue as new Tolle cousins join us.