JAMES K. POLK
III6; Jonathan Jr5; Jonathan
Sr4; Roger3; Tobias2;
James K. Polk Toll, was born 1 Jan 1845, the
son of Sarah Ann (Tomlinson) and Jonathan Tolle III. His
branch of descendants used the TOLL spelling. He was married
on 1 Jan 1867 in Anderson County, Kentucky to Arietta
Champion. Arietta was born 25 Aug 1849, daughter of Mary
(Sweeny) and Davis Champion. James and Arietta had 7
children. James's will was dated 1 Jul 1903 and entered into
probate 20 Jul 1903 and he bequeathed all to his wife. The
date of his death was 6 Jul 1903 and Arietta died on 21 Dec
The children of Arietta (Champion) and James K. Polk Toll
- ROGER HANSON TOLL8 born 19 Nov
1867. He was married on 6 Sep 1891 in Anderson County,
Kentucky to Lettie Baxter. They had 3 children surnamed
TOLL: Lelia, Willis, and Gladys. He died 18 Aug 1937 in
Jefferson County, Kentucky and Lettie died Jan 1960.
- WILLIAM THOMAS TOLL8 born 8 Dec 1870; died 12
Jul 1897 at about age 27 years.
- JAMES LESLIE TOLL8 born 22 Mar 1874. He
married on 3 Nov 1897 to Julia Sweasy and had one child Mary
Elizabeth TOLL. Julia died on 27 Aug 1920 in Anderson
County, Kentucky. James married again to Fred (sic) Fillmore
on 26 Aug 1922. They had two more children surnamed TOLL:
Nancy F., and Leslie Louise. James Leslie died 9 Oct 1952 in
Anderson County, Kentucky.
- MARY ETTA TOLL8
born 29 Feb 1880. She was married on 17 Dec 1903 to S. Frank
Baxter and they had 5 children surnamed BAXTER: Onita,
Robert Douglas, Arietta, Ruby, and William Franklin. He died
on 1 Nov 1938 and she died on 30 Aug 1941.
- LILLIE VERNA
TOLL8 born 11 Aug 1883. She married on 19 Jun
1907 to Wilkes Bond. She died on 18 Nov
- NORA VESPER TOLL8 born 21 Jun 1884. She
was married 26 Jan 1911 in Anderson County, Kentucky to
Homer Green Baxter. He was born 18 Sep 1882. They had one
son James Marvin Baxter. Homer died on 14 Apr 1960 in
Anderson County, Kentucky, and Nora died 26 Feb 1975 in
Louisville, Jefferson County, Kentucky.
- MABEL EDNA
TOLL8 born 28 May 1892. She was married 8 Mar
1916 to Lindsey Herman Baxter. He was born 7 Jan 1889. They
had one daughter, Hazel Baxter. Lindsey died on 21 Nov 1949
and Mable died on 24 Jan 1973 in Lawrenceburg, Kentucky.
For Descendant/Researchers of
James K. Polk Toll
please see Tolle Cousin - #24
- 1850 Federal Census of Fayette County, Kentucky.
- 1880-1900-1910-1920 Soundex of the Federal Census of
- Archive Record of Jonathan Toll, Family
History Library of salt Lake City, Utah. Bible record of
Jonathan Toll family by Nora Toll Baxter, submitted by Irma
Lois Toll. (some errors)
- State of Kentucky Birth and Death Records (index)
1911-1916 FHL film# 0209595 thru 0209603; 1926-1930 on
1936-1938 on 0209645
- State of Kentucky Death Records
(index) 1954 FHL film# 0209686
- Kentucky Death Indxes
1911-1986. FHL fiche# 6200223 (index only)
- A Collection
of records from Anderson County, Kentucky. Includes
marriages, deaths, wills related to Toll/Tolle extracted
from FHL film#s 259304, 259314 & 259316, courtesy of Marian
- Compiled research and personal knowledge of Frances
- Compiled research and personal
knowledge of Judy (Baxter) Lloyd (Tolle Cousin #24)
CATHERINE/KITTY TOLL7 (Jonathan III6; Jonathan Jr5; Jonathan Sr4; Roger3; Tobias2; Roger1)
Catherine Toll, aka "Kitty", was born 28 Feb 1856, daughter of Martha (Loney) and Jonathan Tolle III. she married on 4 Apr 1874 in Harrison County, Kentucky to Marcus Fielding McDufee. He was the son of Ann (Arnold) and William
G. McDuffee. He had served in the Civil War in Company C, 2nd Kentucky Volunteer Mounted Infantry. Marcus died on 17 Jan 1897 and Catherine on 15 Sug 1912 applied for a Widow's Pension for his service. She died 20 Jan 1918 in Covington, Kenton County and is buried at Paris, Bourbon County, Kentucky.
The children of Catherine/Kitty (Toll) and Marcus fielding McDuffy were:
- ALONZO CARLTON McDUFFEE8 born in 1874 in Harrison County, Kentucky. He marriedn on 10 Oct 1900 to Sally Lail, daughter of T.H. Lail. His second marriages was to Ollie Dora Cassidy, daughter of Priscilla (Brady) and Owen Boone Cassidy He had 5 children surnamed McDUFFEE: Arthur, Dorothy, Charles Butler, Woodrow Wilson, and Minnie. He died on 5 May 1936 in Jeferson County, Kentucky and is buried in the Paris Cemetery in Borubon County Kentucky.
- GERTRUDE TOLL8 she is listed on the 1880 census as adopted. (perhaps the child of a brother) she was born about 1878. She married Thack Barnes and was living in Louisville, Jefferson County, Kentucky in
- CARRIED MAE McDUFFEE8 born about 1886. She married on 12 Sep 1905 in Bourbon County, Kentucky to Erastus Newton Bowles. He was son of Zerelda (Thomas) and Lewis H. Bowles. They had 2 children surnamed BOWLES: Erastus and Edith Mae. Carrie died about 1908-09 and is buried in the Paris Cemetery, Paris, Bourbon County, Kentucky.
- LENA McDUFFEE8 born 15 Dec 1892. She was living at Covington, Kenton County, Kentucky on 2 Jan 1918 and she married sometime after that to Gerry A. Eagan. Lena died on 26 Jul 1972 and is buried at Louisville, Jefferson County, Kentucky.
For Descendant/Researcher of Catherine (Toll) McDuffy
please see Tolle cousin - #22
- 1870 Federal Census of Franklin County, Kentucky.
- 1880 Federal Census of Harrison County, Kentucky.
- Marriages of Harrison County, Kentucky. FHL film#
- Compiled records and personal knowledge of Frances (Yeager) Ramsay. (1980s)
- Indigent Widow's Pension for Catherine McDuffee, courtesy Cheryl Roe.
- Archive Record of Jonathan Toll, Family History Library of Salt Lake City, Utah. Bible record of Jonathan Toll family by Nora Toll Baxter, submitted by Irma Lois Toll. (contains some errors)
- Most of the data on this family comes from the compiled records and personal knowledge of Cheryl Roe (Tolle cousin #22)
WILLIAM R. TOLL7 (Winslow Parker6; Jonathan Jr5; Jonathan Sr4; Roger3; Tobias2; Roger1)
William Riley Tolle, was born 20 Nov 1841 in Pike County, Missouri, son of Malinda (Hughes) and Winslow Parker Tolle. William Riley and his descendants used the TOLL spelling. William served the Union in the Civil War in Company C, 36th Illinois Infantry from Aug 1861 to Jan
1864. He was wounded, gunshot in the right hand arm and shoulder. On 26 Jan 1865 in Warren County, Illinois he married Mary Ellen Birdsall. She was born 16 Sep 1846, daughter of Fanny (Ryder) and Paul D. Birdsall. William and Mary Ellen had 10 children. After the marriage, they lived a short time in Dallas County, Iowa, possibly Kansas, and Livingston County, Missouri before they settled permanantly in Texas County, Missouri sometime before 1900. He was Postmaster at Arrol, Missouri in 1912. According to his pension record, he was 6 foot 2; dark complexion; blue eyes, and black hair. William died on 29 Mar 1924 and Mary Ellen died on 4 Apr 1932. They are buried in the Arroll cemetery in Texas County, Missouri.
The children of Mary Ellen (Birdsall) and William Riley Toll were:
- MARY ALTHA TOLL8 born about 1866, probably in Warren County, Illinois. She had a daughter named Mae, surname unknown, and died as a young woman. Her name was not mention on her father's pension. No further info.
- INA LUTRIA TOLL8 born 4 Feb 1867 probably in Warren County, Illinois. She married J.C. Phillips and had 2 sons surnamed PHILLIPS: Frankie and another whos name is unknown. She married 2nd to Joe House and there may have been other children surnamed HOUSE, but they are unknown. She died about 1925 near Branson, Missouri.
- GRACE TOLL8 born 27 Oct 1869 in Dallas County, Iowa. She died in the 1940s in Chicago
- FRANKLIN EUGENE TOLL8 born 23 Mar 1873 in Kansas, aka "Frank". He married on 16 May 1894 in Texas County, Missouri to Mary Douglass. He married second to Cora Bell Elmore and they had 4 children surnamed TOLL: Flossie Dora Ellen, Harley M., Thelma Hortense, and Eunice. His third wife was Stella May Bliss. She was born 5 Jun 1881, daughter of Sophronia (?) and Miles Bliss. Frank and Stella had 3 more children surnamed TOLL: William D. Miles, Mary , and Clara May. He owned a Blacksmith shop in Arroll, Missouri. Frank died 27 Oct 1945 and Stella died on 24 May 1960. They are buried in the Arroll cemetery in Texas County, Missouri.
- EDWARD ARTHUR TOLL8 born 21 Apr 1879 in Livingston County, Missouri. He married on 5 Jan 1902 in Texas County, Missouri to Pamela Adeline Waggoner. she was born 22 Sep 1879. They had 6 children surnamed TOLL: Lee Milton, Laura Edith, Lilly Alice, Georgie Altha, Gracie Alta, and Jacob Arthur. She died and he married second about 1919 to a woman named Ina. He died 15 Jun 1920 in Barton County, Missouri and Ina's deathdate is unknown. They are buried at the Oakton Cemetery in Barton County, Missouri.
- EDITH FRANCES TOLL8 born 10 Aug 1881, aka "Fannie". She married on 6 Feb 1898 in Texas County, Missouri to Adam Thorp. They had 7 children surnamed THORP: Grace Alma, Herschel, Byford, Versie, Esta, Mary Talitha, and Fern. Adam died in the 1930s and she died 21 Feb 1958.
- MARGARET TOLL8 born 10 Aug 1883 and died 11 Aug 1885 in Texas County, Missouri at the age of 1 year 11 months and 29 days. Buried in the Lattimer Cemetery in Texas County, Missouri
- NELLIE E. TOLL8 born 9 Feb 1884 in Texas County, Missouri. She married Levi Smith and they had 3 children surnamed SMITH: Ruth, Ethma and Leonard. There were other children, but the names are unknown. She died in the early 1970s in California, but she is buried in the Oakside Cemetery in Texas County, Missouri.
- FLORA MAY TOLL8 born 29 Feb 1886 in Texas County, Missouri. She married Joel Turner Cook. He was born 11 May 1872 in Salina County, Illinois. Flor and Joel had 10 children surnamed COOK: Clyola E., Lyndall Turner, Ione F., Zinnobia, Carl, Billy, Roy Arlo, Glen, Raymah, and Karleen. Joel died on 10 Jun 1944 and Flora died 1 Feb 1955. They are buried in the Arroll cemetery in Texas County, Missouri.
- ARVILLA BESSIE TOLL8 born 5 Aug 1888 in Texas County, Missouri. She married Harley Derks and they had 5 children surnamed DERKS: Paul, Howard, Ishel, Juanita, and Leah. They are buried in Louisiana, death dates unknown.
For Descendant/Researcher of William Riley Toll
please see Tolle Cousin - #37
- 1850 Federal Census of Pike County, Missouri.
- 1860 Federal Census of Warren County, Illinois.
- 1870 Federal Census of Dallas County, Iowa.
- 1880 Federal Census of Livingston County, Missouri.
- 1900-1910-1920 Federal Census of Texas County, Missouri.
- A Standard History of Kansas and Kansans, Wm. E. Connelley
1918. Volume 4, pages 126 &
127. (contains errors)
- Deed Indexes of Dallas County, Iowa 1857-1868. FHL film# 1034114.
- Register of Births & Stillbirths, County of Texas, State of Missouri 2 Jul 1883 - 23 Mar 1890, Book 1 & 2, Texas County Missouri Genealogical Society.
- Tombstones photos of the Arroll Cemetery in Texas County, Missouri, taken by Thoren Tolle Meyers and printed in the Tolle Family Exchange Newsletter, Volume 5, page 42.
- Records of Deaths, Texas County, Missouri, Volume I, 1863-1887. FHL film# 931637.
- Marriages of Texas County, Missouri, Volume IV, page 53; Volume V, page 32; and Volume VI, page 16. FHL film#s 931631-931632.
- Texas County, Missouri Tract Books. FHL film#s 931638 thru 931640.
- Cemetery Records for Barton County, Missouri, by Elizabeth Prather Ellsberry.
- IGI 8216463-56 & 59, submitted by Mrs Sharon Kunzleman. FHL film#
- Civil War Pension Papers of William Riley Toll, courtesy of Judith Heffron. Printed in the Tolle Family Exchange Newsletter, Volume --, page --.
- List of Pensioners on the Roll January 1, 1883, Genealogical Publishing Company 1970, 5 volumes.
- Alphabetical Military Pension Index File. FHL film# 541231 thru 541233.
- Bible record of births of the Edward Arthur Toll family, courtesy of Jack Toll.
- The major data on the William Riley Tolle family comes from the compiled research of Martha (Hooten) Telaneus.
- Compiled research and personal knowledge of Jack Toll.
- Compiled research and personal knowledge of Judith (Stofer) Heffron.
- Compiled research and personal knowledge of Terri Lea (Bass) Vokins (Tolle Cousin #37)
TOLLE7 (Jose Jr6;
Jose Sr5; Jonathan4;
Henry Clayton Tolle was born 23 Jan 1853,
the son of Sarah (Newland) and Jose Tolle Jr. He married on
3 Nov 1871 to Lurena Wallace. She was born 8 Apr 1853,
daughter of Margaret/Martha (Armstrong) and Alexander
Wallace. They had 11 children. They lived in Adams County,
Ohio all their lives. Lurena died on 8 Jul 1916, and Henry
died in May
1929. They are buried in the Locust Grove Cemetery, in Adams
County, but there are no markers.
The children of Lurena (Wallace) and Henry Clayton Tolle
- ADA BELL TOLLE8 born 6 Oct 1872 in
Adams County, Ohio. She married on 16 Aug 1890 in Adams
County to Isaac Milton Brown. Ada and Isaac had 7 children
surnamed BROWN: Della N., Ethel Pearl, Henry Everett,
Melvin, Ruby, Pauline, and Richard. Ada died after 1929.
- CLAREY MYRTLE TOLLE8 born 6 Mar 1875 in Adams
County, Ohio. She never married and died before 1900.
- ELLIS COLEMAN TOLLE8 born 15 Aug 1878 in
Adams County, Ohio. He married on 8 Sep 1900 to Emma Hannah
Crothers. She was born 18 Apr 1884, the daughter of Martha
(Green) and Peter Crothers. Ellis and Emma had 9 children
surnamed TOLLE: Lilly Ada, Walter Weldon, Estella Lurena,
Arthur Dalwood, Martha Ethel, James Clayton, Edith Celesta,
Della Fay, and Nellie May. They divorced and Ellis died 29
Apr 1921. Emma married again on 8 Sep 1921 to Noah Andrew
- LAMIRA ETHEL TOLLE8 born 28 Apr 1879 in
Adams County, Ohio, also aka Ethel". She was the third wife
of John Franklin McClanahan. He was known as Frank
McClanahan, born 19 Apr 1868, son of Rachel (Varvel) and
William McClanahan. Lamira and Frank had 10 children
surnamed McCLANAHAN: Grace Myrtle, Clara Mabel, Roxie
Pauline, Martha Alice, Mamie Loraine, Daisy May, Clayton
Levi, Reva Dell, Walter Franklin, and George William. She
died 21 Dec 1936 and is buried in the Clarksville cemetery
in Clinton County, Ohio.
- SARAH MARTHA
TOLLE8 born 3 Apr 1882 in Adams County, Ohio, aka
"Mattie". She married on 22 Jun 1900 in Adams County to
Samuel Gaffin. He was born in 1880, the son of Catharine
(Riley) and Hart Gaffin. Sarah and Samuel had 8 children
surnamed GAFFIN: Birdie Gaye, Roy William, Leva Dell, Eva
Bell, Raymond Harold, Rose Lourene, Dorothy May, and Orville
Ellis. She died 13 Aug 1965 and is buried in the Sugar Grove
- ZONIA DELL TOLLE8 born 9 Apr 1884 in Adams
County, Ohio. She married James Robert Crothers on 3 Sep
1900 in Adams County. Zonia and James had 4 children
surnamed CROTHERS: James Theodore, Elva Cervell, Lena Mae,
and Carla Louise. She died 4 Mar 1957 and was buried in the
Clifton Cemetery, but moved to Jamestown Cemetery.
MEDALINE TOLLE8 born 22 Jul 1886 in Adams County,
Ohio. She first married Henry Lafferty, but the marriage was
annuled and she married Noah Andrew Hunt on 6 Oct 1908 in
Lewis County, Kentucky. Noah was born 28 Jan 1881 in
Bentonville, Arkansas, son of Serene (Evans) and Christopher
L. Hunt. Wavie and Noah had 2 children surnamed HUNT: Ernie
Ralph and Wesley Richard. Wavie died died 4 Feb 1919 and is
buried in the Locust Grove Cemetery. Noah married again on 8
Sep 1921 to Emma Hannah (Crother) Tolle.
- NOAH GILBERT
TOLLE8 born 5 Jul 1889 in Adams County, Ohio, aka
"Gilbert. He married first Anna Faye Newman on 8 Sep 1910 in
Adams County, Ohio. Aka as "Faye" she was born 20 Jul 1894,
daughter of Eva (Kates) and Roby Newman. Anna and Noah had 3
children surnamed TOLLE: Fillard Franklin, Dolly Opal, and
Hazel Pearl. Married second to Anna Blanche Tucker on 28 Oct
1920. Noah died 20 Jul 1967 and Anna died 15 May 1977. They
are buried in the Locast Grove Cemetery in Adams County.
- CORDIA LUELLA TOLLE8 born 28 Jan 1892 in
Adams County, Ohio. She was married in 1908 to Stanley
Raymond Bondurant. He was born 2 Apr 1887, son of Fannie (?)
and Zachary Bondurant. Cordelia and Stanley had 7 children
surnamed BONDURANT: Shellie Samuel, Ellis Zachary, Chatman
Stanley, William, Anna Matilda, Russell Edward, and Raymond
Gilbert. She died 27 Apr 1934 and he died 24 Sep 1960. They
are buried in the Locust Grove Cemetery
TOLLE8 born 25 Mar 1893 in Adams County, Ohio. No
- CECIL MILTON TOLLE8 born 20 Jul 1897 in Adams
County, Ohio. He married on 26 Jan 1924 to Flossie Ellen
Mowery. She was born 2 Sep 1905. Cecil and Flossie had 12
children surnamed TOLLE: Cecil Dean, Robert Dale, Samuel
Clayton, Elma Jeanette, Frances Nell, Deloris Jean, James
Ray, Vera Laverne, Garnette Leah, Ervin Blaine, Richard
Glenn, and Ronald Eldon. Cecil died 30 May 1971 and Flossie
died 9 Mar 1979. They are buried Pleasant Hill cemetery in
Descendant/Researchers of Henry Clayton Tolle
Tolle Cousin - #44 - #82 - #83
- 1860-1870-1880 Federal Census of Adams County, Ohio.
- 1900-1910-1920 Soundex of Federal Census of Adams
- Lewis County, Kentucky marriages, index
and some extractions 1812-1975, courtesy of Nancye (Poor)
- Adams County, Ohio Marriage Records, Volume 1,
page 104-105, by Elsie Ewing Rayburn 1953. FHL film#317308
- Adams County, Ohio Newspapers. Some extractions during
the period of 1892-1916 from the New Era & Adams County
Record, Courtesy of Kathryn (Nixon) Miller.
Permissions of Adams County, Ohio extracted by Kathryn
(Nixon) Miller from originals in the courthouse basement.
- Marriage Licenses of Adams County, Ohio, Tolle Family
Exchange Newsletter, Volume 8, page 9.
- Some Marriage
Records of Adams County, Ohio, Volume I, 1797-1894,
published 1988 and Volume II, 1834-1910 published 1995 by
Adams County Genealogical society.
- Bible of Joseph Tolle
Sr, (xerox) owned by Flora Foster, courtesy of Kathryn
(Nixon) Miller and Dolly (Mahaffey) Tolle.
Certificates of Adams County, Ohio abstracts from the West
Union Health Department, courtesy of Kathryn (Nixon) Miller.
- Index of Adams County, Ohio Tombstone Records, by Adams
County Genealogical Society.
- Ohio Birth Records
1909-1911. FHL film# 0929248 thru
- Extracts from Adams County, Ohio newspapers.
The Peoples Defender and The Manchester Signal, courtesy of
Kathryn (Nixon) Miller.
- birth and Death Records of Adams
County, Ohio. FHL film# 545218.
- Adams County, Ohio
Marriage Records 1910-1967, filmed by FHL.
Obituary of Lerena (Wallace) Tolle July 1916.
- Compiled records and personal knowledge of Patty
(Shepherd) Lydick (Tolle Cousin #44)
James Ellis Tolle was born 10 Aug 1858, son
of Phoebe (Thomas) and William Tolle. (one record that I
have for him which appears to have been copied from a bible
record says that his name was James Ellison, but family
members have only heard James Ellis. In most records he is
shown as James E.). He married on 5 Jul 1879 in Adams
County, Nebraska to Susanna Sumner. She was born 9 Sep 1861
in Morovia, Appanoose County, Iowa, daughter of Delila Jane (Masterson) and Peter
Sumner. They had 9 children. James died 24 Sep 1919 at the home of his daughter Della in Bayard, Nebraska, and Susanna died on 10 Jan 1933 in Buffalo County,
Nebraska. They are buried in Kearney, Buffalo County, Nebraska.
The children of Susanna (Sumners) and James Ellis Tolle
- MARSHALL ROSENCRANCE TOLLE8 born 11 Feb 1881 in Fairfield, Clay
County, Nebraska. On 14 Dec 1907 he married Margaret May Spink, daughter of Nettie (Cook) & Francis Spink. She was born 5 May 1890 in Colorado. They had 4 children surnamed TOLLE: 1) Eva Lavina; 2) Zelma V.; 3) Kenneth J.; and 4) Vernie Grant. Margaret died 13 May 1929 in Douglas, Wyoming and is buried there, and he died 2 Feb 1967 in Yakima,
- BERT TOLLE8 born 23 Jan 1883 in
Clay County, Nebraska. He married Iva Abigail Campbell, who
was born 23 Sep
1881. Bert and Iva had 5 children surnamed TOLLE: 1) Jesse Clay; 2) James Orva; 3) Edna M.; 4) Leonard Leroy; and 5) Dale Gene. Iva died
21 Feb 1966 and Bert died 30 Jan 1967 and are buried in Clay
- DELLA MAUDE TOLLE8 born 29
Jan 1886 in Clay County, Nebraska. She married first Charles
Poffenberger and they had 4 children surnamed POFFENBERGER: 1) Marshall Melvin; 2) Tina Amelia; 3) Ervin Howard; and 4) Edgar Oliver.
Charles died in 1929. She married second Frank E. Allen.
FRANCES TOLLE8 born 19 Feb 1888 in Clay County,
Nebraska. She married first John Masterson. they had 2
children surnamed MASTERSON: 1) Erida Viola and 2) Ruby Dora. Then she married John Johnson
and there were 2 more children surnamed JOHNSON: 3) Lois and 4) Alma.
SAM TOLLE8 Born 9 Jan 1890 in Clay County,
Nebraska. He married first on 4 Aug 1915 in Buffalo County,
Nebraska to Leola Maude Fraiser. She was born 23 Feb 1895,
daughter of Elizabeth (Baer) and Francis Frasier. There were
2 children surnamed TOLLE: 1) Earl J. and 2) Fairy Ailine. They homesteaded for a while in
Torrington, Wyoming. Leola died 28 Nov 1931 and is buried in
Shawnee Cemetery in Wyoming. Then Earl married again to
Marion Phillipine Hildum. Her first husband was James
N. Barry. She was born 6 Oct 1899, daughter of Lucille
Lavina (Dow) and Charles Luce Hildum. Earl and Marian had
one more daughter 3) Lavonne June TOLLE. Earl died on 25 Mar 1956
and Marion died 13 Dec 1979. They are buried in the Kearny
Cemetery, Hildum plot, in Buffalo County, Nebraska.
- HENRY WARD
TOLLE8 born 8 Oct 1891 in Clay County, Nebraska. He was usually called Ward.
He married Lillian Fraiser in 1913. She was born 6 Oct 1898 at Kearney, NE, the daughter of Elizabeth (Baer) and Francis Fraiser. They had 9 children surnamed
TOLLE: 1) Darlene; 2) James Dale; 3) Wayne Lewellyn; 4) Eugene; 5) Maxine; 6) Marvin Crance; 7) Donald; 8) and 9) Betty. Lillian died 13 Sep 1845 in McMinnville, Oregon, and Ward died in 1969.
- PETER OLIVER TOLLE8
born 30 Nov 1899 in Decatur County, Kansas. He died in 1913 and is buried in the Kearney Cemetery in Buffalo County, Nebraska.
- DANIEL DENVER TOLLE8 11 Nov 1903 in Clay
County, Nebraska. He married 15 Feb 1935 to DeLoise Josephine
Frost who was born 20 Oct 1916. She was the daughter of Clara (Larson) and Tracy Frost. Daniel & DeLoise had 9 children
surnamed TOLLE: 1) Shirley Lemay; 2) Jack Leroy; 3) Danny Tracy; 4) Shara Jean; 5) Sue Ann; 6) unnamed twin of Sue Ann; 7) Sandra June; and twins 8) Marjorie Lynn and 9) Mary Louise. They lived in El Cajon, California where
Daniel died 27 Feb 1985 and DeLois died 2 Jun 1992.
- ELLIS LADDIE TOLLE8 born 6 Feb 1906 probably
in Clay County, Nebraska. (note: one record gives middle name as Laddie and another as Lattie) He married first to a woman named Bessie.
He married second Feb 1930 to Louise Rose Shirar. She was born 2 Jan
1912, daughter of Grace Pearl (Skiles) and Clyde Henry
Shirar. They had 2 children surnamed TOLLE: 1) Lester Marvin and 2) Bonnie Lee. He died Jul 1975 in Franklin County, Washington.
For Descendant/researchers of
James Ellis Tolle
please see Tolle Cousins - #46
- #48 - #53 - #77
Corrections and new information added to this family on 5 Feb 2000 and submitted by Bonnie Ward and Jesse Canham
- 1860-1870 Federal Census of Grundy County, Missouri
- 1880-1900-1920 Soundex of Federal Census of Nebraska.
- 1885 State Census of Clay County, Nebraska.
- Tombstone photo from Clay Center cemetery, Clay County,
Nebraska, taken by Thoren Tolle Meyers and printed in the
Tolle Family Exchange Newsletter, Volume 9, page 21.
- Letter from Joseph C. Tolle in 1976.
- Data shared by
M. Tolle in 1976.
- Adams County, Nebraska Marriages
1872-1884, by Virginia Walz & Karen Butler. FHL fiche#
- Social Securtity Death Index.
- Index to
Obits in the Tacoma Washington Public Library.
County, Illinois History, by the Schuyler County, County
- California Death Indexes 1980-1989. FHL fiche# 6334518
- Data shared by Bonnie (Tolle) Bell, from a letter
written by Della Maude (Tolle) Pottenberger (date unknown)
- Compiled research and personal knowledge of Lavonne
(Tolle) Ward (Tolle Cousin #46)
- Compiled research and
personal knowledge of Belinda Tolle (Tolle Cousin #48)
- Compiled research and personal knowledge of Jesse Canham (Tolle Cousin #77)
William Tolle was born Oct 1822, son of
Nancy (Applegate) and Benham Tolle. He was married first to
Elizabeth Hyatt on 27 Feb 1844 in Daviess County, Indiana
and they had three children. She must have died soon after
1852 because he married again on 10 Jun 1852 in Howard
County, Indiana to Jane Eliza Bagwell. They had 7 more
children. William died on 14
Jan 1901 in Howard County, Indiana. Jane was still living at
the time of the 1920 census in Grant County, Indiana.
The children of Elizabeth (Hyatt) and William Tolle were:
- GEORGE M. DALLAS TOLLE8 born in 1845
probably in Rush County, Indiana. He married sometime before
1870 to Louisa J. Burton. She was born May 1849, daughter of
Violet (Bitner) and George Burton. They had 5 children
surnamed TOLLE: Arminta J., Jonah P., Elmer Norman, James M.
and George E. He served in the Civil War in Company A, 137th
Indiana Infantry, and after his death his wife applied for
his pension. He died in 1883 in Madison County, Indiana and
is buried in the Donahoo cemetery in Monroe Township.
- LEVI TOLLE8 born Jul 1848 in Rush County,
Indiana. He married Hannah Smith on 29 Dec 1867 in Howard
County, Indiana. They had 5 children surnamed TOLLE: George
William, Minerva J., James E., Ransom T., Rebecca, and
Reuben Perry. Believe she died sometime prior to the 20th of
June, 1882. Levi married again on 7 Nov 1883 to Catherine
Huldah Ladow (The marriage record gives her name as Ladow,
but family members say her name was Catherine Huldah Davis).
Levi and Catherine had one more child Leethel Tolle. She
died in 1914. Levi died in 1933 in Burlington, Indiana.
- PERRY TOLLE8 born Jun 1850 in Rush County,
Indiana. He married on 13 Mar 1873 in Grant County, Indiana
to Sarah O'Banion. Perry and Sarah had 2 children surnamed
TOLLE: Eva May and Lucretia. Sarah died befor 1880. Perry
married again on 1 Sep 1881 in Howard County, Indiana to
Mary E. Newcomb. They had 7 more children surnamed TOLLE:
Carl/Carroll, John, Charles H., Cora, Henry Y., Bertha, and
Hazel. The last data on him was the 1920 census of Grant
The children of Jane Eliza (Bagwell) and William Tolle
- SARAH TOLLE8 born after 1852 in
Howard County, Indiana. She married on 29 Jul 1869 to Jacob
Burton Dragstrem. No further data.
TOLLE8 born Jun 1853 in Howard County, Indiana.
He married Sarah L. Hancock on 23 Jun 1873 in Howard County.
They had 7 children surnamed TOLLE: Jane, John W., Charles
F., Ziggie M., Daisy E., Henry L., and Dolly A. No record
after the 1920 census of Madison County, Indiana.
- WILLIAM HENRY TOLLE8 (there are so many
discrepancies with this child that he may be an error and
not belong in this family at all. Needs study) born Apr 1855
in Howard County, Indiana aka "Henry". He married 18 Nov
1877 in Howard County, Indiana to Amanda J. Moorman. They
had 7 children surnamed TOLLE: Emmy J., Ona M./Iona, Jesse
Claude, Loudosca, Ross H., Lorel Otis, and Mary Daffodil.
Amanda died in 1935 and William died 1938. They are buried
in the Brookside Cemetery in Tipton County, Indiana.
- NANCY J. TOLLE8 born about 1859 in Howard
County, Indiana. She was age 21 on the 1880 census of Howard
County and then she married 13 Oct 1880 to Lafary Quick.
That is the last record I have for her.
- JANE TOLLE8 born about 1861 in Howard County,
Indiana. She was age 19 in the 1880 census. No further info
about her unless she is the Jennie Tolle who married Uriah
Hawkins in 1888.
- JAMES TOLLE8 born about 1863 in Howard
County, Indiana. He was age 17 on the 1880 census of Howard
County, Indiana. Is he the one who married Maryette Osborn
and had a daughter named Orphie?
- LILLY TOLLE8 born about 1873 in Howard
County, Indiana. She was age 7 in the 1880 census of Howard
County. Is she the one who married David Reed?
For Descendant/Researchers of
please see Tolle Cousin - #35
- 1850 Federal Census of Rush County, Indiana.
- 1860-1870 Federal Census of Howard County, Indiana.
- 1880-1900-1920 Soundex of Federal Census of Indiana
- 1910 Federal Census of Grant County, Indiana.
Federal Census of Tipton County, Indiana.
Census-Genealogical Data of Tipton County, Indiana, compiled
by Marietta F. Henry, Indian Reserve Chapter DAR 1983.
- Marriage Record Indexes, Clinton County, Indiana. FHL
film# 1266733, items 1 thru 4.
- Marriage Records of Grant County, Indiana, compiled by
the Grant County Genealogy Club 1985. 5 Volumes 1831-Jun
1938. FHL film# 6010887 thru 6010891.
- Death Records of Howard Ccounty, Indiana. FHL film#
1266801, item 3.
- Marriage Index of Howard County, Indaina. HTL film#
1266801, item 4.
- Tipton County, Indiana Cemetery Inscriptions and
Histories, compiled by Indain Reserve Chapter DAR & Tipton
County Extension Homemakers Assoc.
- Madison County, Indiana Cemetery Records, pages 317-318.
- Howard County, Indiana Marriage Records (2 volumes) by
Robert & Phyllis Selby 1982.
- Index to Compiled Service Records of Volunteer Union
Soldiers who served in Organizations from the State of
Indiana. FHL film# 881799.
- Alphabetical Military Pension
Index File. FHL film#s 541231 thru
- compiled records and personal knowledge of Beverlee
Erickson (Tolle Cousin #35)
GEORGE HARRISON MARION TOLLE7 (Charles Wesley C.6; Reuben Hampton5; Jonathan4; Roger3; Tobias2; Roger1)
George Harrison Marion Tolle was born 1 Sep 1841 in Brown County, Illinois. He was the son of Charlotte (Taylor) and Charles Wesley C. Tolle. George married first on 18 Nov 1863 in Brown County, Illinois to Lutitia McBride. They had 2 children and she died in 1866 at the age of 22 years. On 18 Jan 1868 he married again in Brown County to Cynthia Ann Cox. Cynthia was born in 1843, the daughter of Julia (Orchard) and James
P. Cox. George and Cynthia had 3 more children but she also died on 4 Mar 1885. His third wife was Mary E. Garrison who he married on 20 Nov 1887. George and Mary had one more child. The first two wives are buried in the Tolle Cemetery in Cooperstown and George and Mary are buried in the Westside Cemetery in Versailles, Illinois. George died in 1915 and Mary in 1926.
The children of Lutitia (McBride) and George Harrison Marion Tolle were:
- CHARLES WESLEY TOLLE8 born 16 Sep 1864 in Brown County, Illinois. He married first on 21 Jul 1884 in Pike County, Illinois to Henrietta A. Kirk. They had 4 children surnamed TOLLE: Claudia Delia, Clarence Wesley, Charles Howard, and Clara L. Henrietta died on 2 Dec 1905. He married second about 1906 to Ida Gifford. She was married first to George B. Alexander, and had 2 children. He died 14 Aug 1941 in Gray County, Texas.
- LUTITIA TOLLE8 born 16 Sep 1866 in Brown County, Illinois, aka "Lulu. She married John Lindsey Davis on 31 Aug 1882 in Brown County. John was born 25 Jan 1853, son of Lucinda (Brewer) and Robert Davis. Lutitia and John had 9 children surnamed DAVIS: George R., Bertha A., Pearl, John Oliver, Katie M., Loren Lee, Lucy, Mary L., and Thelma Irene. She died 13 Jul 1925, and is buried in the Westside Cemetery, in Versailles, Brown County, Illinois. John died Mar 1944.
The children of Cynthia Ann (Cox) and George Harrison Marion Tolle were:
- GEORGE WILLIAM TOLLE8 born 7 Mar 1869 in Brown County, Illinois, aka "Bill". He married Hattie Belle Gifford on 7 May 1891 in Brown County. She was born 5 Aug 1870, saughter of Lucinda (Hovis) and Joseph Gifford. George and Hattie had 8 children surnamed TOLLE: Claude Earl, Elsie Lucinda, Edward Boyd, Eva B., Mattie, Harry, Mary Blanch, and Catherine. Hattie died 28 Dec 1921 and George died 24 Aug 1924. They are buried in the Westside Cemetery in Versailles, Brown County, Illinois.
- NELLIE TOLLE8 born about 1873 in Brown County, Illinois. She married George W. Ackerman on 2 Apr 1891 in Brown County. He was the son of Mary (Nickols) and Abram Ackerman. Nellie and George had 2 children surnamed ACKERMAN: Ralph and Daisy. She died before 1915.
- HATTIE TOLLE8 born about 1877 in Brown County, Illinois. She married Albert L. Hume on 13 Sep 1894 in Brown County. Her second husband was a man named Clark. No info after her father's probate in 1915.
The child of Mary E. (Garrison) and George Harrison Marion Tolle was:
- JAMES VIRGIL TOLLE8 aka "Virgil", was born 19 Apr 1890 in Brown County, Illinois. He married on 18 Jan 1913 in Pike County, Illinois to Eva May Ehrgott. She was born 4 May 1893. James and Eva had one son Delbert G. Tolle. He was an operator on the Wabash Ralroad. He died on 5 Jun 1942 and Eva died 10 Nov 1991. They are buried in the Versailles Cemetery in Brown County, Illinois.
For Descendant/Researchers of George Harrison Marion Tolle
please see Tolle Cousin
- #45 - #78
- 1850-1860-1870 Federal Census of Brown County, Illinois
- 1865 State Census for Brown and Schuyler Counties, Illinois.
- 1920 Soundex for the Federal Census of Illinois.
- Biographical Review of Cass, Schuyler, & Brown Counties, Illinois 1892, pages 1980199.
- Bible of Charles W.C. Tolle. (typed page, not original) Also printed in The Tolle Family Exchange Newsletter, edited by Thoren Tolle Meyers, Volume 5, page 22.
- Cemeteries of Brown County, Illinois 1825-1972, Brown County Board of Schuyler-brown Historical & Genealogical Society. Also Cemetery Records of Brown County, Volume 1, by Miss Miribah Clark and Index to Maiden Names on Tombstones & Recorded Burials, of Brown County, Illinois, by Janet Pease.
- Birth Records of Schuyler County, Illinois. Indexes on FHL film # 1311546 th 1311548 & 1311553.
- Pike County, Illinois Marriage Book B (3) page 113 and Book 4, page 204.
- Marriages in Brown County, Illinois 1839-1946. FHL film#s 2021549-2021550.
- Death Index by Name-Illinois, January 1916 th Dec 1938.
- Peoria Journal Star (Illinois) Obituaries 1991-1999
- Probate record of Charles Wesley C. Tolle 1875, Brown County, Illinois. FHL film# 1986055.
- Probate Record of Charlotte Taylor/Temple Tolle 1885 Brown County, Illinois. FHL film# 1987533.
- Probate Record of George Harrison Marion Tolle 1915, Brown County, Illinois. FHL film# 19934446.
- Obituary of James Virgil Tolle June 1942
- Obituary of Eva May (Ehergott) Tolle November 1991.
- Compiled records and personal knowledge of Phyllis (Tolle) Maze.
- Compiled records and personal knowledge of Marilyn (Bour) Davis.
- Compiled records and personal knowledge of Vicky Jackson (Tolle Cousin #45)
Continue with selected Generation 7 descendants of the Jonathan Branch.