Generation Seven - The Jonathan
Compiled by Thoren Tolle
The descendants of generation seven will be
random for the cousins who are searching for their own
If you aren't signed up on the Tolle Cousins
Call yet, please contact me at my
e-mail and I will be pleased to add you to this growing
DARLING7 (Frances Ann (Tolle)
Darling6; Jose Tolle Sr5; Jonathan
Tolle4; Roger Tolle3; Tobias
Tolle2; Roger Tolle1)
Charlotte Josephine Darling, daughter of Frances Ann
(Tolle) and James Harvey Darling, was born 24 Jun 1846 in
Adams County, Ohio. She married Eli Martin Current in August
of 1864. Eli was born 3 Nov 1833 in Pike County, Ohio, son
of Martin Current. He had been married before to Samantha
Bayse/Basye and had 4 children by her. Charlotte and Eli had
10 more children. Eli died 3 Feb 1909 in Schuyler County,
Missouri and Charlotte died 3 May 1913 in Wapello County,
Iowa. They are buried in Coatsville, in Schuyler County,
The children of
Charlotte Josephine (Darling) and Eli Martin Current were:
- WILLIAM WASHINGTON CURRENT8 born 10 Oct 1865
in Mason County, Illinois; married Letitia Martin on 26 Oct
1890; died 28 Mar 1936.
- AMANDA FRANCIS CURRENT8 born 27 Nov 1867
Mason County, Illinois; married 1st on 21 Jun 1885 to David
Alonzo Sweet; married 2nd on 8 May 1915 to Wallace Himes;
died 14 Nov 1927.
- SARAH MARINDA CURRENT8 born 12 Jan 1870 in
East Lynn, Vermillion County, Illinois; married John Samuel
Eason on 23 Jun 1889 in Schuyler County, Missouri; it was
his second marriage; John was born 17 Oct 1865 in Queen
City, Schuyler County, Missouri and died 1 Oct 1918; they
had one child that I know of, Phoebie Mildred EASON born 15
Mar 1894; Sarah died 15 Oct 1928 at Ogden, Weber County,
- MARY ADELINE CURRENT8 born 2 Oct 1872 in
Vermillion County, Illinois; married William Allen Lucas on
1 Feb 1891; died 18 Feb 1958.
- LEWIS GRANT CURRENT8 born 28 May 1875 in
Schuyler County, Missouri; married Fanny West on 15 Feb
1901; died 12 Dec 1946.
- JOHN LEONARD CURRENT8 born 31 Oct 1877 in
Schuyler County, Missouri; married Mary Cary on 6 Dec 1903;
died 6 Jul 1953.
- MELVIE ETHELIA CURRENT8 born 29 Mar 1880
Schuyler County, Missouri; married Frank O. Hess on 7 Nov
1898 in Schuyler County, Missouri; died 16 Apr 1951 in
- GEORGE EDMUND CURRENT8 born 21 Oct 1882 in
Schuyler County, Missouri; married 1st Nancy Clayton about
1904; married 2nd Delia Forbes; died 18 Sep 1946.
CELESTIA CURRENT8 born 27 May 1883 in Schuyler
County, Missouri; married Elbert Fay Lucas on 20 Aug 1902;
died 22 Oct 1950 in Portland, Oregon.
- BERTHA LUCETTA
CURRENT8 born 18 Jun 1888 in Schuyler County,
Missouri; died as a small child on 18 Jan 1891.
For Descendants/Researchers of Charlotte
Josephine (Darling) Current
please see Tolle Cousin - #2
- 1860 Federal Census of Pike County, Ohio.
data of Otelia Hedman 1978 courtesy of Kathryn (Nixon)
- Compiled research of Kathryn (Nixon) Miller
research and personal knowledge of Donna Lewis (See Tolle
Gallaneous6; Jose Sr5;
Jonathan4; Roger4; Tobias3;
Sarah Ellen Tolle, daughter of Charlotte
(Downing) and William Gallaneous Tolle, was born 12 Jan 1848
in Adams County, Ohio. She married William Washington
Humphrey on 21 Sep 1865 in Adams County, Ohio. William born
15 Nov 1841 in Morgan County, Ohio was son of Edith
(McCracken) and Howell Humphrey. Sarah & William had a large
family, and William died 3 Jul 1899 in Pike County, Ohio.
Sarah married a second time to Thomas Beavers on 8 Feb 1905
in Pike County, Ohio. Sarah died 19 Nov 1934 in Clinton
County, Ohio and is buried with William in the Mt Zion
Cemetery, Sunfish Township, Pike County, Ohio. The double
headstone says HUMPHREYS, William 1841-1899 & Sarah
The children of Sarah Ellen (Tolle) and William
Washington Humphrey were:
- IVA MAY HUMPHREY8 born 13 Jul 1866 in Ohio;
married 1st to Francis M. Lumsford on 27 Aug 1886 in Pike
County, Ohio and they were the parents of 2 children
surnamed LUMSFORD: Maude & Ella; Then Iva married 2nd to
William Nace on 9 Feb 1902 in Pike County, Ohio. William
Nace was born 2 Dec 1845; Iva and William had two children
surnamed NACE: Ruth & William Jr; Iva May died 31 Dec 1910.
- SAMUEL ROBERT HUMPHREY8 born 27 Jun 1868 in
Ohio; married Nora Ellen Graves in 1892; Nora Ellen was born
28 Feb 1872, daughter of Frances Alvert (Powell) & Jacob
Newland Graves; Samuel and Nora had 6 children surnamed
HUMPHREY: Rollie Rosto, Rosa Belle, Della May, Grace Hazel,
Blanchie E, and Sherman Ellsworth; Samuel died 5 Aug 1946
and Nora died 23 Jun 1951; they are buried in the White Oak
Cemetery in Sunfish Township, Pike County, Ohio.
- FLORA ALICE HUMPHREY8 born 9 Dec 1870 in
Ohio; married George Inlow 1 Jan 1890 in Pike County, Ohio;
there were 5 children surnamed INLOW: Roy, Earl, & Florence,
who were stillborn; Flora died 9 Apr 1899.
HOWELL HUMPHREY8 born 29 Jan 1873 in Adams
County, Ohio; married Sarah Mustard 20 Aug 1899 in Pike
County, Ohio; they had 5 children surnamed HUMPHREY: William
Henry, Charles L., Zelma, Walter, and Freda; William died 9
Aug 1961 in Clinton County, Ohio and is buried in the
Greenfield Cemetry in Highland County, Ohio.
- LU EDITH
HUMPHREY8 born 4 May 1875 in Ohio; married George
William Wade on 15 Feb 1894; George William was born 20 Sep
1872; they had 3 children surnamed WADE: Elda May, Frances,
and Walter Wymain; George William died 19 mar 1965 and Lu
Edith died 20 Apr 1966 in Clinton County, Ohio and they are
buried there in the Sugar Grove Cemetery in Wilmington.
- JOHN ANDREW JAMES HUMPHREY8 born 1 Jan 1878
in Pike County, Ohio; married Flora Belle Graves on 18 Oct
1899; Flora Bell was born 2 Jul 1878, daughter of Frances
Alvert (Powell) and Jacob Newland Graves; John and Flora had
7 children surnamed HUMPHREY: Marley Evert, Lena Frances,
Anna Belle, Erma Faye, John Robert, Myrtle May,
& Delbert Louis; John died 28 Apr 1952 and Flora died 28 Aug
1972 in Highland County, Ohio.
- ORA E.
HUMPHREY8 born 1 may 1880 in Pike County, Ohio;
married Dora Williams on 22 Aug 1900 in Clinton County,
Ohio; Dora was born 12 Aug 1884; they had 9 children
surnamed HUMPHREY: Mabel, Roma Elizabeth, O. Raymond, Betty,
Mildred, Dennis James, Leonard Donald, Arthur Eugene, and an
unamed child born Dec 1927.
- FRANCIS ELMER HUMPHREY8 born 22 Sep 1882 in
Pike County, Ohio; married Ada Daughtery on 1 Sep 1907 in
Clinton County, Ohio; Ada was born 4 Sep 1887; they had 8
children surnamed HUMPHREY: Clarence H., Ruth Etta, Helen
Marie, Lloyd, Everette Wayne, Cecil Leroy, Mary Lou, and
Anna May; Francis died 22 Oct 1963 and Ada died 9 Sep 1970
in Clinton County, Ohio and they are buried there in the
Sugar Grove Cemetery in Wilmington.
- ANNIE CHARLOTTE
HUMPHREY8 born 23 Jul 1885 in Pike County, Ohio;
married Clay Sanderson on 28 Oct 1902 in Clinton County,
Ohio and they had 6 children surnamed SANDERSON: Eva Pearl,
Loloa Lenorna, Estella, Violet May, Zeula Marie, and Mary
- MARY CATHERINE HUMPHREY8 born 23
Nov 1888 Pike County, Ohio; married Sumner Rosto Graves on
26 Oct 1904; he was born 1 Feb 1884, the son of Frances
Alvert (Powell) and Jacob Newland Graves; they had 4
children surnamed GRAVES: Cleo Frances, Rosa Mae, Susie Fae,
and William Paul; Mary died 30 Apr 1945 and Sumner died 26
Jul 1971 in Highland County, Ohio and is buried in the South
Salem Cemetery in Ross County, Ohio.
- GEORGE WASHINGTON
HUMPHREY8 born 31 Jan 1893 in Pike County, Ohio;
no further data at this time.
For Descendant/Researchers of Sarah Ellen
please see Tolle Cousin -#4 - - #93 - - #103
- 1860 Federal Census of Adams County, Ohio.
research of Guy Warren Humphry, courtesy of N.Elizabeth
- Death notice & obituary, a
typed copy for Sarah Humphreys.
- Pike County, Ohio Marriages 1881-1885. FHL film #s
- One Hundred Years of Pike County, Ohio Marriages
1815-1915, by Meg Scott & Meridith Mollenkamp. FHL Book #
- Death Certificate of Samuel Humphrey (1946)
Slip for William Howe Humphrey (1961)
- Compiled research
and personal knowledge of Nora Elizabeth (Humphrey)
- Compiled research and personal knowledge of Kathryn
(Nixon) Miller regarding
- Compiled research and personal knowledge of John R.
Burnett; Descendant J.R. Burnette has a homepage that
includes this family. See the TOLLE LINKS page. (See also Tolle Cousins #4)
JAMES HENRY TOLE7 (Winslow Parker6; Jonathan Jr5; Jontathan4; Roger3; Tobias2; Roger1)
James Henry Tole, son of Elizabeth (Bradley) and Winslow Parker Tolle, was born 12 Oct 1834 in Pike County, Missouri. He was a twin. It was with him that this branch of the family took the TOLE spelling. He married Harriet Richards on 31 Jul 1855 in Pike, Ohio. Harriet was born 27 Jul 1837 in Lafayette, Indiana, the daughter of Grant Richards. James and Harriet had 7 children. They lived near Pleasant Hill in Pike County, Illinois until 1873 when they moved to Montgomery County, Kansas. He bought 160 acres of land in Liberty Township. James lived there until 1890 when he retired to live in Liberty. Harriet died 12 Nov 1874 and James died on 9 Feb 1897. They are buried in the Liberty Cemetery in Liberty, Montgomery County, Kansas.
The children of Harriet (Richards) and James Henry Tole were:
- JOSEPHINE TOLE8 born probably about 1856 in Pleasant Hill, Pike County, Illinois and died before 1860 at the age of 3 years.
- JOHN HENRY TOLE8 born 29 Apr 1858 in Pleasant Hill, Pike County, Illinois; married Carrie May Goble on 21 Jan 1901 in Montgomery County, Kansas; Carrie was born 1 Sep 1875 daughter of Pleasant E. (?) and Thomas J. Goble; her first husband was Samuel Kelso and she had one child by him, Lenore Marie Kelso; John Henry & Carrie had 2 children surnamed TOLE: John Hollis & Eunice Eugenia; John was a lumber dealer, and Vice President and Director of the Liberty State Bank; He died 26 Nov 1940 and Carried died 28 Nov 1966. They are buried in the Liberty Cemetery, Liberty, Montgomery County, Kansas. .
- WILLIAM WESLEY TOLE8 born 9 Jul 1860 in Pike County, Illinois; aka "Wes"; married Amanda Bell Kelso on 4 Nov 1894 in Montgomery County, Kansas; Amanda was born 24 Apr 1871; William and Amanda had 8 children surnamed TOLE: James, Frank, Mollie, William Basil, Frances Alma, Karleen, Janet Edra, and John J.; He operated a meat market for a while, and farmed with his brother; Wiliam died 13 Nov 1916 and Amanda died 19 Feb 1956; they are buried in the Liberty Cemetery, Liberty, Montgomery County, Kansas.
- LILLIE JANE TOLE8 born ca 1863 in Pike Couny, Illinois; married Allen Presler on 31 May 1906 in Montgomery County, Kansas; she lived in San Francisco and died in Reno, Nevada, date unknown.
- MARY F. TOLE8 born 18 Jan 1866 in Pike County, Illinois; married Charles G. Swartz and they had one child Myrtle SWARTZ; Mary died at the age of 25 years, 11 months, and 16 days, possibly in childbirth and is buried in Liberty, Kansas.
MYRTLE TOLE8 born 12 Jul 1867 in Pike County, Illinois; married Walter J. Reardon on 28 Dec 1887 in Montgomery County, Kansas; He was born 28 Mar 1859 in Marshall, Missouri; Minnie and Walter had 6 children surnamed REARDON: Granville Walter, James Donald, Allie Ruth, Minnie Beatrice, Chester A, and Velma Fern; Minnie died 26 Jun 1926 and Walter died in March of 1940; they are buried in the Liberty Cemetery, Liberty, Montgomery County, Kansas..
- MILTON LAYTON
BRADLEY TOLE8 born 11 Dec 1868 in Pike County, Illinois; married Della Kerr on 26 Nov 1891 in Montgomery County, Kansas; Milton & Della had one child Cora E. TOLE; Milton died 11 Nov 1945 in Independence, Kansas and is buried in the Newhope Cemetery in Montgomery County, Kansas.
For Descendant/Researchers of James Henry Tole
Tolle Cousin - #5 - #80
- A Standard History of Kansas and Kansans, by Wm. E. Connelley 1918. Volume 4, pages 126-127.
- 1830-1840-1850 Federal Census of Pike County, Missouri
- 1880 Soundex of Federal Census of Missouri.
- 1900-1910-1920 Soundex or Miracode of Federal Census of Kansas.
- Pike County, Illinois Marriage Book 1, pages 175 & 216. FHL film #1314769.
- Montgomery County, Kansas Cemetery Records, Volume I.
- Compiled research and personal knowledge of Judith (Stoffer) Heffron.
research and personal knowledge of Susanne (Gravendijk) Worth (See Tolle Cousin #5)
- Compiled research and personal knowledge Clela Reeves (See Tolle Cousin #80)
JAMES F. TOLLE7 (George Henry6; Reuben Hampton5; Jonathan4; Roger3; Tobias2; Roger1)
James F. Tolle, son of Mary Elizabeth (Eades) and George Henry Tolle, was born 17 Mar 1846 in Schuyler County, Illinois. He married Miranda Sebastian about 1868, probably in Illinois. Miranda was born Feb 1848 according to census records. They moved to Grundy County, Missouri in the late 1860s. James had served in the Civil War in the Union Army in Company G, 73rd Illinois Infantry. He applied for a pension in 1890 (app# 1230773 cert# 962405) and when he died Miranda applied for a widow's pension (app# 797607 cert#
564451) James died on 29 Jan 1925 in Grundy County, Missouri, and Miranda died there on 23 Apr 1928. They are buried in The Tolle Cemetery, south of Trenton Missouri.
The children of Miranda (Sebastian) and James F. Tolle were:
- WALTER F. TOLLE8 born 15 Jul 1869 in Grundy County, Missouri; died there of Whopping Cough on 27 Jul 1884 at age 13 years, and is buried in the Tolle Cemetery.
- GEORGE H. TOLLE8 born Sep 1869 Grundy County, Missouri; married Ida M. Anderson on 1 Mar 1896; Ida was born in Sep 1870, daughter of Henry Anderson. they had no children. George died in 1927 and Ida died in 1940; they are buried in the IOOF Cemetery in Trenton, Grundy County, Missouri.
- AMY L. TOLLE8 born 2 Jun 1873 in Grundy County, Missouri; died 2 Sep 1874 at about age 15 months and is buried in the Tolle Cemetery in Grundy County, Missouri.
- ERNEST G. TOLLE8 born Dec 1875 in Grundy County, Missouri; married a woman named Nancy and they had one son William D. TOLLE; he died 23 Feb 1909 and is buried in the Tolle Cemetery in Grundy County, Missouri. (some of the data I have for him is conflicting).
ALICE TOLLE8 born 1876 in Grundy County, Missouri; married Edward G. Whitworth about 1899; they had 11 children surnamed WHITWORTH: Hattie, Nellie K. Vena, Alice, Willa, Bessie, Homer, Burness, Amanda Ellen, and James; she died in 1941 & Edward died in 1947; they are buried in the Tolle cemetery in Grundy County, Missouri.
- FRANCES TOLLE8 born 26 Jul 1884 in Grundy County, Missouri; died 10 Aug 1884 at about 2 weeks old, and is buried in the Tolle Cemetery.
- LESTER HERNDON TOLLE8 born 10 Mar 1886 in Grundy County, Missouri; aka "Herndon": married Mary Elizabeth Graham on 1 Nov 1910 in Grundy County; Mary was born 19 Mar 1890; they had 4 children surnamed TOLLE: Clarence Edward, Frank, Jessie E. and Mary Elizabeth; Mary died 17 Apr 1919 and Lester died 29 Aug 1939; they are buried in the Tolle cemetery in Grundy County, Missouri.
For Descendant/researchers of James F. Tolle
Tolle Cousin - #6
- 1850-1860 Federal Census of Schuyler County, Illinois.
- 1870-1880 Federal Census of Grundy County, Missouri.
- 1880-1900-1910-1920 Federal Census Soundex of Missouri.
- History of Grundy County, Missouri 1881 contains a Bio of George H. Tolle on pages 688-680. FHL book# 977.8215 H2b.
- Alphabetical Military Pension Index File. FHL film#s 541231-541233.
- Index to Compiled Service Records of Volunteer Union soldiers who served in Organizations from the State of Illinois. FHL film# 881711.
- Permenant Records of Deaths in Grundy County, issouri 1883-1892. FHL film#1007646.
- Index to Marriage Licences of Grundy County, Missouri 1841-1937. FHL film# 200763, items 2-4.
- Data extracted by Thoren Tolle Meyers from the RSVP files located at the public Library at Trenton, Grundy County, Missouri (Potpourri of data)
- Death Notices from Grundy County, Missorui Newspapers. Republican Times 1915-1930; and papers of Spickard 1901-1944 & Loredo 1905.
- Obituary of James F. Tolle - January 1925.
- Cemetery Records of Grundy County, Missouri, by Elizabeth Prather Ellsberry, 6 volumes. FHL Book# 977.8215 V22e.
- Tombstone photos of Grundy County cemeterys, taken by Thoren Tolle Meyers and featured in the Tolle Family Exchange Newsletter in Volume 4, pages 27-29; 31; and 37-39.
- Missouri Pioneers, 30 Volume set, by Nadine Hodges & Mrs Howard Woodruff. Also same data can be found in "Grundy Gleanings", Grundy Co Missouri Genealogical Society, Volume 9, #5.
- Compiled research and personal knowledge of Grecthen (Mace) Velasco.
- Compiled Records of Helen Lang. Handwritten and difficult to decipher with some errors, courtesy of Joan Stevenson.
- Compiled research and personal knowledge of Patsie Kincade.
- Compiled research and personal knowledge of Melda Spiker. (See also Tolle Cousins #6)
Jonathan4; Roger3; Tobias2;
Elijah Tolle, son of
Phoebe (Thomas) and William Tolle, was born 29 Aug 1837 in
Parke County, Indiana. He married Susanne Hedley/Headley on
31 Mar 1857 in Grant County, Indiana. Susanne was born 22
Jan 1837 in Ohio, the daughter of Jane (Moore) and David
Hedley. They did a lot of moving around. Places included
Indiana, Nebraska and Washington. He wasn't found on the
Civil War Index of Soldiers, but He is belived to be in a
photo of a GAR Post. Elijah died 10 Oct 1909 in Whatcom
County, Washington, and Susanne died there on 1 Oct 1917.
They are buried in the Woodlawn Cemetery in Bellingham,
Whatcom County, Washington.
The children of Susan
(Hedley/Headley) and Elijah Tolle were:
- PHOEBE JANE
TOLLE8 born 11 Feb 1858 in Grundy County,
Missouri; she married Robert McConnell on 20 Oct 1874 in
Howard County, Indiana; Phoebe and Robert had three children
surnamed McCONNELL: James A., John W., and William H.;
Robert died and she married Daniel Stroub after 1880; she
died Aug 1899 and is buried in Clay Center, Nebraska.
- DAVID WILLIAM TOLLE8 born 19 Dec 1859
probably in Grant County, Indiana; married Arizona Bozarth
about 1887 in Clay County, Nebraska; She was born 7 May
1874, the daughter of Mary A. (Williams) & William Bozarth;
they had five children surnamed TOLLE: Alvin Ambrose, Goldie
E., Raymond, Lorene May, and Virgil; but they divorced
before 1915; he married again to a woman named May; died 4
May 1927 in Lincoln, Nebraska; buried in Blue Mound
Cemetery, Milford, Seward County, Nebraska. Arizona died 21
- MARY ARSULA TOLLE8 born 18 Apr 1863
probably in Grant County, Indiana; she married 1st to Worthy
Bishop and they had four children surnamed BISHOP: Alfred
Andrew, Blanche Mae, Eva Florence, and Elijah J.; she
married 2nd to William Lynn and they had one child named
Perry A. LYNN; she died 19 Oct 1932 in Washington County,
Colorado and is buried in Akron, Washington.
- DEBBIE ANN
TOLLE8 born 15 Aug 1865 in Indiana; married
Jonathan F. Sumner 30 Jun 1881 in Clay County, Nebraska;
Jonathan was the son of Delia Jane (Masterson) & Peter
Sumner; it is believed they had several children but their
names are unknown to me at this time; she died in
- JAMES HENRY TOLLE8 born 3 Dec 1867 in Grundy
County, Missouri; he married 31 Aug 1891 in Floyd County,
Iowa to Glencora Elizabeth Frazee; Glencora was born 14 Apr
1870; they had nine children surnamed TOLLE: Mary Effie,
Minnie Frances, Nora Adell, Glenn Frazee,Blanche Marie, Mae
Elizabeth, Pearl Lodema, Opal Gladys, and Viola; Glencora
died 6 Jun 1953 and James died 27 Jan 1963 in Charles City,
Iowa and they are buried in the Beckwith cemetery in Charles
- JOHN WESLEY TOLLE8 born 7 Feb
1870 in Indiana; married 1st to Sarah Elizabeth Barker 2 Oct
1892 in Decatur County, Kansas; Sarah was born 2 Oct 1875,
the daughter of Mary J. (Whitehead/Whited) and George W.
Barker; they had twelve children surnamed TOLLE: Irene
Hulda, Clarence, Cleo Fay, Elijah George, Ina, Iva, Agnes
Ada, Rhoda, Elsie, Edna Esther, Glen Theodore, and Woodrow
R.; he married 2nd Ida Roe after 1915; died 30 Jan 1952 in
- FRANCES LILLIAN TOLLE8 born 17 mar 1872 in
Indiana; also known as Lillie; married Winfred E. Harley on
23 Oct 1892 in Norton County, Kansas; they had three
children surnamed HARLEY: Marnie, Alta, and Lawrence; died
- DANIEL TOLLE8 born 29 May 1874 and died 3
months later in Sep 1874.
- FRANKLIN E. TOLLE8 born 28 Jun 1875 in
Indiana; married Emmeretta Angel on 15 Feb 1898; they had
two children surnamed TOLLE: George and Neola? (uncertain of
spelling); Frank died 5 Mar 1963 in Bellingham, Washington.
- MINNIE DELL TOLLE8 born 24 Jan 1881 in
Nebraska; married Charlie Moor on 16 Mar1898 and they had 2
children surnamed MOORE: Zella and Ray; they lived in
Bellingham, Washington and she died 19 Jun 1955.
For Descendant/Researchers of William
Tolle Cousin - #7
- 1860 Federal Census of Grant County, Indiana.
Soundex of Federal Census of Nebraska.
- 1885 State Census
of Clay County, Nebraska.
- 1900 Soundex of Federal Census
of Nebraska & Missouri.
- 1920 Soundex of Federal Census
of Iowa, Colorado, & Washington.
- Marriage license records of Norton County, Kansas.
- Marriage license records of Decatur County, Kansas.
- Compiled research and personal knowledge of Bev
- Compiled research and personal knowledge of Karen
- Compiled research and personal knowledge of Bonnie
- Compiled research and personal knowledge of Gary Bowers.
- Compiled research and personal knowledge of Sonja
(Meyer) Hicks. (See Tolle Cousins #7)
TOLL7 (Willis A.6;
James Lawson Toll, born Feb 1865 in Delaware
County, Indiana was son of Sarah (Stivers) and Willis A.
Tolle. This branch of the family spelled the name TOLL. He
married on 25 Jul 1891 in Delaware County to Barbara
Virginia Gothrop. She was born Oct 1864. James and Barabra
had 5 children. They can be found in the census records of
Delaware County, Indiana from 1870 thru 1920.
children of Barbara V. (Gottrup) and James Lawson Toll were:
- NELLIE G. TOLL8 born 21 May 1892 Delaware
County, Indiana; married on 17 Jul 1912 to Charles W.
- HAZEL Ellen TOLL8 born 4 Jul 1894 in
Delaware County, Indian; married on 24 Dec 1915 to Jacob A.
- FRANK Newton TOLL8 born Oct 1895 in
Delaware County, Indiana; last record was 1920 census.
- WILLIAM JENNINGS BRYAN TOLL8 born 6 Jan 1898
in Delaware County, Indian. be married before 1919 to a
woman named Mabel and they had 2 children surnamed TOLL:
Lola and John William.
- ADA MURIEL TOLL8 born
26 Feb 1901 in Delaware County, Indiana. She married Orville
Huxhold and died in the mid 1980s.
For Descendant/Researchers of James Lawson
please see Tolle Cousin -
- 1870-1880-1900-1910-1920 Federal Census of Delaware
- Birth Record Index of Delaware County, Indiana. FHL
film# 1266792, item 1 or 549293, item 2.
- Marriage Record
Index of Delaware County, Indiana. FHL film# 1266792 or
549293, item 3.
- James Lawson Tolle family photo, courtesy of John Bryan
- Compiled research and personal knowledge of John Bryan
Toll (Tolle cousin #30)
TOLLE8 (Reuben H.6;
Reuben Hampton5; Jonathan4;
Sarah Elizabeth Tolle, born 16 Jul 1842 in
Schuyler County, Illinois. It is believed that she was the
daughter of Anna Margaret (Eades) and Reuben H. Tolle. (more
evidence needed) The mother died in 1859 and the father had
died at an even earlier unknown date. Sarah married in
Schuyler County, Illinois on 16 Oct 1859 to James Madison
Bryant. John was born 21 Feb 1837, the son of Elizabeth (?)
and John Bryant. They may have had as many as 10 children,
but only 4 daughters lived to maturity. James Served in the
Civil War in Co. D, Illinois 115th Infantry and was captured
14 Oct 1864 and was imprisoned in the Andersonville prison
in Georgia. The family stayed in Illinois until 1883 when
they went first to Allen County, Kansas and then in 1888 to
Oklahoma and finally settling in El Reno. Sarah died on 27
Apr 1905 and James on 6 Jan 1919. They are buried in the El
Reno, Oklahoma Cemetery in Canadian County, Oklahoma (Block
15, Lot 9, graves K & L).
The known children of Sarah
Elizabeth (Tolle) and James Madison Bryant were:
- WILLIAM SHERMAN BRYANT8 born about 1866 in
Schuyler County, Illinois; died before 1880 Schuyler County,
- MARTHA JANE BRYANT8 born 8 Jan 1868
Illinois. She married on 28 Jul 1885 in Iola, Kansas to
Charles Albert Palmer, son of Louisa (Donaldson) and Jesse
Palmer. Martha and Charles had 11 children surnamed PALMER:
Fred M., Lulu, James Albert, Sylvia, Aimee Claire, Mary L.,
Dewey C., Ina Pearl, Nellie Rose, Hugh, and Clyde. Charles
died on 8 Jan 1934 in El Reno, Oklahoma, and Martha died 8
Jan 1944 in Norwalk, California.
- JOHN BRYANT8 born about 1869, Schuyler
County, Illinois; died before 1880 in Schuyler County,
- LILLIE MYRTLE BRYANT8 born Sep 1874
Illinois. She married on 9 Jul 1892 in El Reno, Oklahoma to
Hiram H. Davidson. He was born Apr 1863, son of Mary
(Weekly) and H.H. Davidson. Lillie and Hiram had 4 children
surnamed DAVIDSON: Archie O., Raymond W., Eva M., and
Laurence Carl. Lillie died 26 Apr 1914 and is buried El Reno
- MARY ANNA BRYANT8 born 1876 in Illinois. She
married on 6 Mar 1893 in Canadian County, Oklahoma to Edward
E. Sherman. He was born in Feb 1869, son of Alice
(Wentworth) and Edward E. Sherman. They had 4 children
surnamed SHERMAN: Arthur J., Sarah, Emmett J., and Ethel.
Anna died 14 Aug 1938 and Edward on 22 Feb 1941 in El Reno,
- LEONORA M. BRYANT8 born Aug 1879,
Schuyler County, Illinois; married on 29 Oct 1895 in
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma to Ira Charles Sherman. He was born
Jul 1870, the son of Alice (Wentworth) and Joel Sherman.
They had 3 children surnamed SHERMAN: William, Lena, and
Walter. Ira died on 29 Feb 1904 in El Reno, Oklahoma and
Leonora died about 1951 in California.
For Descendant/Researchers of Sarah Elizabeth
please see Tolle Cousin - #10
- 1850 Federal Census of Schuyler County, Illinois.
- 1860 Federal Census of Fulton County, Illinois.
Federal Census of Schuyler County, Illinois.
- Indexes to
Birth, Death, and Marriages of Cass County, Illinois. FHL
- The Schuylerite, the Schuyler County, Illinois
Historical Museum, Volumes VI & XV.
- Obituary of Sarah E. (Tolle) Bryant courtesy of
Paul C. Palmer.
- All of the data regarding the children
of Sarah &
James Bryant courtesy of Paul C. Palmer (See Tolle Cousin
Galaneous6; Jose Sr5;
Jonathan4; Roger3; Tobias2;
John Albert Tolle was born 29 Dec 1860 in
Adams County, Ohio, the son of Catherine Ann (Conaway) and
William Galaneous Tolle. He married on 23 Sep 1883 in Pike
County, Ohio to Mary Florence Knox. Mary was born 22 Jan
1862 in Brown County, Ohio, the daughter of Frances Jane
(Purdue/Jones) and William T. Knox. John and Mary had 8
children. Mary died on 2 Feb 1931 and John on 20 Feb 1936 in
Wilmington, Clinton County, Ohio.
The children of Mary Florence (Knox) and John Albert
- CHARLES SHERMAN TOLLE8 born 13 Dec 1884;
married on 21 Mar 1907 in Highland County, Ohio to Bertha
Satterfield. They had 4 children surnamed TOLLE: John Reece,
William Theodore, Edna/Edith/ and Edwin. Charles died on 8
Feb 1921 and Bertha died 18 Nov 1971 (see her obit in source
#12 below). They are buried in the White Oak Cemetery in
Pike County, Ohio.
- WILLIAM ROSCOE TOLLE8 born
17 Sep 1886 and died 6 Nov 1888 at about age 2 years.
- HARLEY THOMAS TOLLE8 aka "Tommy" so assuming
that middle name is Thomas. He was born 24 Sep 1889; married
about 1927 to Leola Atkins and apparently they had no
children. He served in WWI and was discharged 28 Feb 1919.
He died on 18 Aug 1969 in the Veterans Hospital at Dayton,
Ohio age 79. He is buried in the Pleasant Hills Cemetery.
- EDITH C. TOLLE8 born 31 Aug 1892 and died 1
Mar 1896 at about 3 1/2 years of age.
- FLOYD ALBERT TOLLE8 born 1 Jun 1897 in Pike
County, Ohio. He married on 17 Jun 1920 to Ida Mae
Richardson and if there were children, I don't have that
informantion at this time. He served in WWI and was
discharged on 3 Feb 1919. He died 17 Aug 1919 in Anderson,
- OPAL EVELYN TOLLE8 born 3 Jun 1899. She
married on 3 Jun 1925 in Highland County to William Earl
Crawford. She died 8 Feb 1971.
- ESSIL VELMA
TOLLE8 born 4 Nov 1903. aka "Edith". She married
on 27 Jun 1925 to Treber Shelton Crawford.
- JOHN ELMER
TOLLE8 born 27 May 1905 in Pike County, Ohio. He
married on 18 Sep 1926 to Josephine Ellen Marrs. He died 22
For Descendant/Researchers of John Albert
please see Tolle Cousin -
- 1870 Federal Census of Adams County, Ohio.
- 1880-1910-1920 Soundex for Federal Census of Ohio.
- Adams County, Ohio Admistrators & Executors Docket.
extracted by Kathryn Miller from indexed book in the
basement of Adams County, courthouse. Pike County, Ohio
Marriages 1881-1885. FHL film#s 292748-292749.
hundred years of pike County, Ohio Marriages 1815-1915, by
Meg Scott & Meredith Mollenkamp.
- A FGS submitted to FHL
by Catherine Nace Chrisman (date unknown) FHL film# 1275234.
- Ohio Births Records 1909-1911. FHL film# 929248 thru
- Official Roster of Ohio Soldiers-Sailors-Marines, World
War 1917-1918, Volume 17.
- Compiled research of Kathryn (Nixon) Miller.
Records, Pike County, Ohio 1876-1906. FHL film# 292754,
items 1 thru 3.
- Tombstone data from Sinking Springs
- Compiled research and personal knowledge of
Tolle (see Tolle cousin #27)
- Obituary of Bertha (Satterfield) Tolle, November
Continue with selected generation 7 descendants of the Jonathan Branch.